PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Some more wheels. I'll be trying to make the flat belt tracks look like something more realistic next.
Attached Thumbnails
#1 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz PZInz 140 (4TP) 9/99-otdaeabt-i.jpg  
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Doug, you have done a great job on this little jewel. You said you were trying to do something more w/tracks. Is it possible to scan, make several copies, cut apart and layer the main track part. I have found this helps make belt tracks to look a lot better.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent wheels, Douglas!

Very ship-shape!

Don
Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks guys.

I have tried layering the tracks, flexibiity problems compounded by the size of the componets when cut out made for an unacceptable appearance. Too high a bend radius for the individual track elements prevents them from meshing with the drive sprocket and the bend around the sprocket is blocky (rectilinear) rather curved.

I tried using an embossing ink pen to give some depth, this was a total failure as the ink does not stand up very proud from the paper. I may revisit this using beads of PVA glue or some as yet to be discovered product instead of ink

Right now I'm trying to find some tyvek paper to act as a strong & flexible centre ribbon. I would glue track parts on each side with a small space between each element to increase the bend radius. So far all I have been able to find is large rolls of the stuff. It is inkjet printable though.

At any rate I have other bits to build while I consider my options . . .

~ bend, fold, mutilate and staple ( hey maybe I could use staples )
Old 02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
try embossing powder

That might help on the cleats of the tracks
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
try embossing powder

That might help on the cleats of the tracks
Thanks I'll look into that.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
You might try looking for Tyvek envelopes, I'm pretty sure the Mail America (or whatever it's called now) near here sells them individually.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
Thanks guys.

I have tried layering the tracks, flexibiity problems compounded by the size of the componets when cut out made for an unacceptable appearance. Too high a bend radius for the individual track elements prevents them from meshing with the drive sprocket and the bend around the sprocket is blocky (rectilinear) rather curved.

I tried using an embossing ink pen to give some depth, this was a total failure as the ink does not stand up very proud from the paper. I may revisit this using beads of PVA glue or some as yet to be discovered product instead of ink

Right now I'm trying to find some tyvek paper to act as a strong & flexible centre ribbon. I would glue track parts on each side with a small space between each element to increase the bend radius. So far all I have been able to find is large rolls of the stuff. It is inkjet printable though.

At any rate I have other bits to build while I consider my options . . .

~ bend, fold, mutilate and staple ( hey maybe I could use staples )
Look back through the vehicle threads for my method using Pz 1F tracks - it will work for your PZInz 140 tracks. This technique works even for small tracks like the Modelik T-27.

Only 8 roadwheels - that's easy. Sorry couldn't resist - still slogging my way through 48 roadwheels for the Tiger.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks Charlie - I had forgotten about that thread , probably where my tyvek inspiration came from.

Honestly 8 road wheels was a determining factor when I selected this one from the pile.You picked the tank with 48 road wheels and no doubt they will be fabulous. I have always enjoyed your AFV builds.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM

No new pictures to post. I have decided to make the tracks as per Charlie's excellent Pz 1F tracks. My little tanks tracks are not as wide but I have cut out a little over a hundred pieces so far and my fingers are numb. I don't know how you hardcore armored guys do it. Hopefully I will have some new pictures tonight.
Google Adsense