PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
I'm about to start my first proper tank model; what kind of glue do use to stick the skins onto the frame?

Tim
Just White PVA glue for most of it especially if I need to be able to reposition parts. For some parts where I need a higher strength bond I use an Australian glue called "Rapi-Bond" - I think the rough equivalent overseas is "Weldbond". Rapi-Bond is a modified PVA that sets very quickly and the bond is nearly full stength in a minute or so - means you don't have to use clamps - just position, clamp with fingers and wait 30 secs.

So - which AFV are you building?

Regards,

Charlie
Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Thanks for help regarding glue.

Will be building the GPM Panzerkampfwagen 38 (t) Kit number 43.

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Tiger I Ausf H1 4-5/98-tank-pic-1.jpg

It will be my first building thread.

Tim
Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
Will be building the GPM Panzerkampfwagen 38 (t) Kit number 43.
Looking forward to the build thread - this is a pretty old GPM model so I guess you'll have much the same problems as everyone in the Maly Modelarz contest.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am a ole Cav tanker, built many plastic 1:35 kits, discovered resin (Verlinden) and PE and went from a build straight from box, too $200.00 worth of extras, yards of research, months of building until I just got tired of the whole thing. But now paper opens a new door, I build mostly ships, have a few aircraft and watching you build this Tiger has me wanting to try a tank again. The only thing that turns me off is the tracks. You mentioned Bristol for tracks. Are you building link by link, have seen laser cut, I like the looks of. Like what you have done so far. Rick:D
Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
I am a ole Cav tanker, built many plastic 1:35 kits, discovered resin (Verlinden) and PE and went from a build straight from box, too $200.00 worth of extras, yards of research, months of building until I just got tired of the whole thing. But now paper opens a new door, I build mostly ships, have a few aircraft and watching you build this Tiger has me wanting to try a tank again. The only thing that turns me off is the tracks. You mentioned Bristol for tracks. Are you building link by link, have seen laser cut, I like the looks of. Like what you have done so far. Rick:D
Thank you.....

I have to stay within the bounds of what's in the model kit for the contest so I'm stuck with band tracks. However, that isn't such a bad thing since there are ways of improving band tracks to look much more realistic. Look back through the vehicle threads for my PzKpfw 1 Ausf F or KV-2 for examples. A couple of us built the Gremir Grant using a similar technique. I did WAK Tiger(P) track link by link a while ago - don't recommend the experience. Laser tracks are nice but drilling holes for the pins and shaping the links gets to be seriously tedious (and fiddly).

I hang around with plastic AFV modelers at AMMS Brisbane - there's one guy who hasn't quite forgiven me - when he was showing off his seriously expensive 1/35 Bergepanther - I just happened to have the Halinski Bergepanther with me that day.

Do you go as far back as the M48s? If so John Griffon would probably appreciate your input on his M48 design. He's also made M60 (early model) noises.

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 02-04-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You're another of those who can turn cereal boxes -- and Waziak designs -- into masterpieces, Charlie.

There is no way to tell from the photos that there is anything wrong with the design. By the time you have worked your magic, it's become a nice clean build.

Don
Old 02-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Actually, that color looks fairly accurate for panzer yellow. At Kursk, many tigers were rushed to the battle and likey did not get camoflauge, which was a field application, not factory finish. Looks like you are off to a good start, and good luck!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
M48's lets see, the only time had anything to do with them was training NG, Ft. Drum, NY middle of winter. At the time assigned to a Cav unit that fielded M60A1's, deployed to FRG, assigned to a Cav unit that had a mission to patrol the Hoff border. While there served on a M60A3 w/blade, dug hull positions. Would return to the states, assigned to a Cav unit that trained Armor Lt's, M60A3 Passive/Rise. While stationed there would get to serve on my favorite of all tanks, M551 the shank, fast, mean and just nasty, what a little beast to go into battle with. Unit beside us in motor pool was working the bugs out of the Abrams, and there were alot of them, so my heart will always belong to my ole friend the M60, which was born out of the M48 program. I laugh when I hear someone talking about some wild 4 wheel ride they have taken, you have not 4 wheeled, until you cross country in 54 tons of steel.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Thanks for that...

I'm sure John will contact you if he goes ahead with his M60 design. M48s in NY winter - ouch!

Pity there's no model around of the M551. There was a French ex-tanker on the forum who served in AMX-30s - similar to the Sheridan - fast, light and very nasty.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Charlie,

You do enjoy a challenge, if any one can make a Maly Modelarz kit look good you can.

Jim