PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
cjwalas, wow, I like her. I am a ole Pocher builder and anything w/the Flying Lady gets my juices to flowing. Looks like you are off to a great start. I thought I knew the mark well, but w/tracks! I have never seen this before. Got to think'in, find a old started Pocher RR and modify with this design, that would turn heads at the next Pocher Gathering. Just be glad you do not have to roll 250 spooks per for wheels and then install. Keep it up, great build.:D
Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I never had the patience for Pocher kits, but they sure are beautiful.
HOWEVER, this MM kit is definitely not.
I think I have a winner here. I don't know that I have actually seen a kit with as bad a fit as this one. The frame and hood went together just fine (one short piece of trim on the hood).
But then the nightmare began. Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a great paper model builder, but I'm not horrible either. Why then when I was as careful as I could be did the next step come out like this??!?!?!
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1262.jpg

#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1260.jpg

#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1261.jpg
Almost nothing fit! Very little aligned at all with anything else, and the rear body panel (I won't even show you that one!) overlapped the side pieces by at least 1/4"!
The rounded sides of the body are too rounded as designed and as you can see, they have to be re-flattened by spreading the edges...and they still don't fit.
This is actually the second worst-fitting kit I've ever seen. I am sorely tempted to toss this one and find something else to try.
Ok, enough griping. Maybe I can cut some fake trim pieces to hide the gaps... oh, wait, that would be modifying the kit, wouldn't it?
Chris
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Chris,

You are doing an exceptional job dealing with the chalanges that this kit brigngs your way. Just don't give up! Remember, it's not your fault, you are doing the best you can with what you've got. Plus you never know...you may be in the running for the worst fit-ugly duckling award! LOL :D:D:D

(Todd, is there such an award in this contest anyway )
Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Heh, I don't know how to go about this modifying business.
Some of these kits say in the instructions to touch it up with putty filler and paint where needed. I don't think they were designed to fit on the first try :D
Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
You never know...you may be in the running for the worst fit-ugly duckling award!
(Todd, is there such an award in this contest anyway )
Not presently, but maybe a few special awards would be fun. Sows Ear Award?

Hang in there Chris. This contest runs for 6 months. Plenty of time to build other kits.

By the way, I didn't restrict anyone from building multiple entries in this contest. If someone builds several kits, it only adds to the competition.
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2009, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
It certainly makes you wonder what other surprises this kit has in store for you. Keep at it Chris, maybe things will get better.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That's pretty impressive mis-alignment. I've built some mediocre freebies, but this is something else!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I think the Gremlins have been at it.

But with your practice on those teenie-weenie Trotskies, I'm sure it will look fine when it's done, Chris.

Don
Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 PM

I'm not sure any experience could prepare me for this one!:o
Still plugging away at this when I get the chance.
The good news is that the side frame pieces cover a multitude of sins on the body construction. The bad news is that there are no registration demarcations on the model, so placement of these parts is...subjective?
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1269.jpg
I think these are pretty close to where they should be... I hope.
The other good news is that the gas tank covers the horrible mess that is the rear of the body (this is where there was a gigantic overlap of the pieces;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1268.jpg
The bad news is that the gas tank fits worse than the roof. It required heavy trimming and I had to glue it twice to get it to hold the position.

The numbers of the kit are leading into the half-track gear now, but I have no faith in this kit whatsoever, so I'm trying to go slow, pre- and test fit everything so I know how it should go together before gluing anything.
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1266.jpg
Just as an example of , well, everything about this kit, these are all part number 41(the half-track wheels' treads);
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1264.jpg
It doesn't show as much in the photo, but of the eight pieces in the kit, four of them are slightly longer and wider than the other four. I don't trust anything about this kit!!!!
I am curious to see if I can make it all the way to the end on this one. It may take some degree of violence on my part to get the pieces to fit, but I'm not going to let this one get the better of me!!!
Keep repeating; it's only a paper model, it's only a paper model....
Chris
PS. Maybe a Trotskiy right now would do me some good.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 PM

I just found this observation about this kit at Konradus;
"Exterior is virtually impossible in the construction of the standard model.
I had to introduce a lot of changes." (Google translation)

Why did I pick this kit! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Chris
Google Adsense