PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Quote:
The assembled wheels are also a good 3/8" too wide for the axle and frame and require some delicate, well, crushing.
9 mm to crush - that's some crushing, Chris!

Good luck! - L.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
This is one of those kits that cries out for putty and paint, most certainly, and if I were to do this one again (and I won't), I would definitely cut many of my own replacement parts rather than use the originals. I suspect that's more of the approach you're talking about, Kuba?
Chris
Well I don't mean any specific method, rather "do what you can", and that definitely works, yeah.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Yes, I understand, Kuba. The question I have is; if the original intent of the publishers was to sell a kit with the understanding that the modeler had to "do what he could" to make the model presentable, shouldn't that be our understanding in the contest as well? Not trying to stir the pot here, but I'd love to try and turn this one into something!
Chris
Old 02-10-2009, 02:04 PM

I think so, but luckily mine fits decently so it's not much of an issue :p

I suppose a middle ground is building it how it is, presenting it, then fixing it up and presenting it again.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I think you should build it however you want Chris. But please document the fixes you make and why. I really think that is the fun part of this contest. It is supposed to be fun right. Just my opinion.
Google Adsense
Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM

Progress is slow on this one. It's not that I'm not putting the time in, it's just that virtually no two pieces fit well. It seems it was too much to hope that the designer could even get the width of two pieces of track to match;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1276.jpg
And, no, this is not a mis-sized misprint from two sheets. Both sections were cut from the same sheet. This kit has gone to the number one spot of my terrible kits to build. I'm sure there are plenty of hints in the instructions as to how to deal with it all, but I doubt their effectiveness. In the battle between me and this kit, the kit is winning! :p
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1278.jpg
The Kegresse assembly is done, except for the tracks. One of the problems with this kit is that even if you can get it together, it's terribly inaccurate. The main body of the RR is completely wrong, as are several details, the Kegresse half-track is much too wide (actually the whole assembly is oversized), and who knows what else!
I'm really debating as to whether this one will be worth "fixing" when it's done. The basic body is so far off that it might be more interesting to start from scratch, re-color and resize where necessary and simple replace some of the larger bad parts.
Anyway, starting to look forward to a better fitting kit!:D
Chris
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Your skill at compensating for design flaws is impressive but your patience and will power at not having crushed and trashed this one is awe-inspiring!! Hang in there - if there is an "I won't give up" award, you have it won hands down!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM

That does look pretty good.

I may still stand by my previous comments, but geez, problems like that are something else entirely. Complex shapes like the body... there's a lot you might do with sanding and reshaping. But mismatched basic strips are just thoroughly wrong... no way to fix it except to re-do it entirely, and then why did they even print it?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Kuba,
The most embarrassing thing about this about this one is that it's a rerelease of an earlier version! Seven years earlier (1970) MM released this exact kit (although the cover at least showed the right version of the car!). I can't believe that in those seven years no one said, "We better fix this one if we're going to rerelease it! Maybe whenever MM got behind schedule, they just grabbed an older kit off the pile and reprinted it??
Well, I sure appreciated the miracle of computer assisted drawing now!
Ron,
I must just be stubborn and too stupid to quit. I just hate admitting that I'm being beaten by a 31 year old paper model!
Chris

Last edited by cjwalas; 02-12-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Chris, I think your's is the oldest of those in this event? I have to say that the hellcat is off in many ways, but within acceptable limits for an old, or homemade basically kit. I look at it that way, and am enjoying it a little! I often have to redo things, if I didn't get parts put together right the first time. I'm looking forward to what you can do with yours, mine I think can't throw me a loop now that I got through the fuse. Or can it?:D