PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Glen,
I've done a couple of kits that were at least a few years earlier than this one, and while they weren't especially brilliant kits, they did go together well overall. So I can't accept the age of this kit as an excuse. And I completely agree that these old MM kits have their own kind of charm and that if you can take them for what they are, there's a lot of fun to be had with them. I always feel a sense of achievement when I get a MM kit together!
As far as your kit throwing you a loop at this stage, well, I've learned never to feel confident with a MM kit!
Chris
Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Front wheels.
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1282.jpg
Of course the fit wasn't good. Wheel inner rings were way too small and the outer ring was a little too big. Not sure why the tire is two different colors, though. I would have thought the wheels would make contact with the skis, but they turn freely above them. I'll be gluing the wheels down at some point for extra strength.
I'm trying to see if I can leave the Kegresse rig, wheels and skis separate from the body, just in case I want to try and fix stuff afterward. What a masochist I must be to even think that!
Chris
Old 02-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Chris, I must admit, I am impressed with the running gear and the ski/wheel combo. I for one am waiting to see how this turns out. Given what you have had to work with, my hat is off to you. And then you choose a flying greenhouse on top of that. :D Another tough build, two at once, what a set of ",)$. Rick
Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The front ski/wheel assembly looks great. I sure can't tell just by looking at it that you had any problems. Great work Chris!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 PM

This continues to amaze. There's what I am assuming is a toolbox on one side of the body. It's too small;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1283.jpg
But that's not even the disappointing part. In order to get the Kegresse assembly anywhere near where it should be, the toolbox has to be this far off the mark;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1290.jpg
They obviously didn't have time for a test build when they were doing these kits!:D
Here's the front wheel assembly (nothing fit quite right);
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1291.jpg
Just finishing up the details and should post final pics in a bit.
As I want to leave my options for "fixing" things, I won't be gluing the treads on.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2009, 07:17 PM

Ok, for all purposes of this competition, this one is done. I added the final details (such as they are). I didn't color the flying lady as I want to paint her later;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1293.jpg
Also, the tracks are not glued together or in place as I think I may modify them a bit and I'll need to have it separate.
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1303.jpg
The pity of it all is not that the kit was so horrendous, but that after all that extra effort to get it together, it barely looks anything like the prototype. The body shape is all wrong, the Kegresse rig is too big and I think the designer just made up whatever details he felt like. The final result is a cartoon version at best.
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1304.jpg
I've been thinking about what it would (not will) take to help this model look like something and I think it would have to be one of those heavily puttied and fully painted modifications. I would have loved to put in clear windows, but that's not so easy with the internal formers.
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1305.jpg
All the while I was building this one I couldn't help but think of the little kids in Poland having to struggle with this monstrosity. Poor kids.
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1307.jpg
Anyway, I'm going to hide this thing away for a while in a closet somewhere and decide whether I want to attempt a make-over or just toss it. It certainly can't be let out in public like this!
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1308.jpg
At least I finished it. Now for a glass of red, some time away from paper models and then on to another one!
Chris
Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I think you really salvaged it. It looks very good, even if unrealistic. Just don't focus on the gaping holes and it's all good
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM

No matter the ill fit and mis-match, I LIKE . The box that is too small to be a tool box, might be the battery box, they could on some models be found in a small metal box setting on the fender. Why there, your guess is as good as mine. But the car is TOPS. You get my vote. Rick:D
Old 02-15-2009, 08:10 PM

That actually came out really well! I'm very impressed!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM

The Flying Lady as well on raditor shell, did not notice before. How about a close up of the beauty. Vote #2 from me:D:D:D.Rick
Google Adsense