PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II

Here I go joining and starting in the middle of homework!
I'm hoping the fact it has so little parts lets me actually work on it, unlike that Ka-50...
That thing is still coming, but I gotta put it aside. Too much effort for little gains to motivate me right now.

Anyways, here we go!

This is the Bohdan Wasiak F-5, dated 6/99
I bought it brand new, and I've been looking it over since then. I'd say that's 10 years, but the date never matches the actual release date.

I'm going with a thinner cardboard than usual, since I have so much of it. Works out to 0.7 mm once laminated, but it should be ok.

It's 4 pages of parts, almost 1 page of formers. Just a few diagrams aside from the one I show, but it's a simple model.

This guy comes with 4 missles, I guess sidewinders. You can correct me when I've built them.

And back I go to homework...
Attached Thumbnails
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2388.jpg   #10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2389.jpg  

Last edited by dansls1; 07-02-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2009, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like a good one, Kuba!

Don
Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
An F-5, cool, I always liked the look of this aircraft.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Good luck on this one, Kuba. Hopefully it is one of Mr. Wasiak's better designs!
Chris
Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Glad you picked this one. I've had it for a long time but the diagrams confused me - the formers looked like they occupied the cockpit even though a full cockpit was included with the kit. If I recall, I think that someone had a build thread on the old Cardmodels forum and the camo either didn't line up or wasn't consistent in color.
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM

rmks2000 wrote: ". . . the camo either didn't line up or wasn't consistent in color."

I think those are essential characteristics of the kits chosen for this contest!

Don
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Ok dudes, I have started cutting.

I couldn't find my compass cutter, so instead of wasting time, I cut out squares instead of circles in the formers. As far as I could always tell, they're just to help you put them into place.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the panel lines match up brilliantly. Especially that part that goes dark blue for no reason... I can't even decide which orientation it goes in.

The pencil marks where the seam switches from bottom to top. The instructions say that happens at the 4th segment, but it obviously doesn't. Maybe they were counting the cone piece which is marked #31 for some reason.

This is the lots-of-cylinders method of construction.
Attached Thumbnails
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2390.jpg   #10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2391.jpg  
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Well, the formers look good.

And I can see what you mean about thecolors matching up brilliantly.

Don
Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Out of the gates Mr Wasiak takes the lead.

Turns out all the formers are a bit small for the skins... when you tried to make the cylinder, something like 5mm of the skin overlapped!
I did sand the edges, but definitely not that much, and that was according to his instructions anyway.
I fought back though, and got it working.

I took narrow strips of paper and glued them around the rim of the formers. Unfortunately, one skin fit better than the other and the matching formers now have very slight differences in size, since I used anywhere from 1 to 3 strips.

Preparing for the front landing gear, I put in a small piece of cork as per the instructions. I made sure to pre-pierce it while I could still hold it, so that I don't rip it away later.

For the front instrument spike/thingy - what's the real name? - I just painted a toothpick (will add another coat later, it didn't cover that well). It just happened to be perfectly sized, so I didn't cut it at all. Make sure you put the small hole in the former though! I put one end into it, and so its straight and solid.
Also, the cone didn't have a former. I had to make one by tracing an already assembled section. It would be better to trace it before you glue obviously, and don't forget to make a hole in it either!
Attached Thumbnails
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2392.jpg   #10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2393.jpg  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Like as not I use a hole punch (1/4" pliers type) to nibble and or hack a hole in the middle of formers. Quick, easy and gives a little more grip if you need to twist something back into alignment