PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77

After a long and exhausting search through my MM kits, I made a discovery; in a recent major clean-up, I have misplaced an entire stack of MM kits! Grrrr! Anyway, after excluding all kits done in the previous contest (sorry, Don, I did consider the Hampton!) and after excluding all the kits I don't want to build unless I can modify them, I decided to try one that I know I'll probably never build otherwise, Lenin's Rolls-Royce;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-lc1.jpg
The cover is deceptive as this kit does not build the version pictured (the summer version), but builds the winter version, which looks like this;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1062.jpg
The Rolls-Royce had been a popular car with the Russian nobility and a number of 1915 Rolls-Royces were converted for winter use by Adolphe Kegresse, who was the technical director of the Tsar's garage. The "Kegresse Audosledge" was a hang-on device that converted any car into a half-track.
Anyway, back to the kit. It looks horrible. The colors are uneven, inaccurate and ugly, there's no interior, it's printed on blotter paper and I doubt very much that it will build into a decent looking model. But I find it an interesting and unfamiliar subject, so here goes nothin'! I'm going to scan this one and while I'm tempted to do something (anything!) with the color, I will refrain so as to keep within the confines of the contest!
I know there's a much better ABC version of this car, but I've never been able to track down a copy for myself. So this will have to do until I find one. And away we go!
Chris

Last edited by dansls1; 07-02-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent choice, Chris. Although I would have loved to have seen what you would have done with the Hamnpden!

Don
Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I've always wanted to see a build of this one. I like linkages - Kegresse left Russia after the revolution and went to France to work with Citroen. The Kegresse half track suspension system was sold to the US and was used in the M3 half track - thousands of these were built in WW2. So there's logical chain between the Tsar's garage and the US Army M3 half track.

I think wishing a Bohdan design on someone might fall into the "cruel and unusual punishment" category.

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 02-01-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Wonderful choice Chris, a beauty from 1977, you are braver than I. I look forward to seeing this interesting subject come together.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:39 PM

This is definitely a curious kit. My printouts from my scans came out as bad as the originals, so the color is going to be way off. The thing that kept me from doing this one for so long is the halftrack section. I just don't know anything about it. But fortunately, there are good diagrams, so I'm hopeful. There are eight pages of parts; I wonder how many there would have been if they'd done an interior? I don't have any faith in this looking like much when it's done, but it'll be a good test run if I ever want to do a heavily modified, detailed version. As for bravery, well, I suspect it's more ignorance and foolhardiness!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Well, blade has been put to paper;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1254.jpg
This looks dirtier than it is. I smeared some of the ink gluing the backing on.
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1255.jpg
The five hood pieces went on well and fit well for a kit of this era. However, part 6, the U-shaped piece between the hood and window, is a complete mystery to me. I trimmed it three times and it still just doesn't fit. It's poorly designed for the curve it needs to make.
The roof underpieces (is that a word??) went on well;
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1256.jpg
But you can see here that I haven't glued down that ill-fitting piece. I'm hoping there's some other piece that will show up to fix it (but I don't see anything in the diagrams).
#11 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz Lenin's Car 8-77-img_1259.jpg
Oh, and it not only doesn't fit, it's a good1/4" short on both ends?!?! I'm really hoping there's something I'm missing at this stage goes in the vacant area.
I have a misprinted page that I can cut patch pieces from if I need to, though.
Chris
PS. My prints came out more purple than the original, which is more purple/blue, but every bit as unattractive!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Maybe the fenders go in that gap? It's cool looking anyhow!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Ah, the fenders! No, they come anywhere near that spot. But I think I see where there's a support arm of some sort (it may be for the front skis somehow) that looks like it will run over that area. I am hopeful once again!
Chris
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I could be wrong (and I can find no supporting evidence without digging into ye olde librarium), but I think purple was the official Imperial Russian racing colour.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Imperial purple I've heard of but not Imperial lavender. I wonder if the car was/is that color? You are off to a great start Chris. That piece between the hood and windshield is always tricky.
Google Adsense