PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Not much progress to report. Mostly I have been contemplating the poor fit of the parts and trying to decide whether to build up the formers or reduce the size of the skins. I think the best approach for now is to get the framework glued up and all the skins cut out and formed, then to see how best to approach the cutting and filling.

I'll probably start building some of the subassemblies, like the rather simple engine, to keep my spirits up in the meantime.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 3/99 Shiden-shiden-003a.jpg   OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 3/99 Shiden-shiden-003b.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Don,
I would leave the skins the way they are and adjust the formers. This of course depends if adjacent skin segments are matching....
Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Well Don, with the thing I'm building right now I sort of regret building up the formers. I have annoying misfits between every segment [though not tragic], since each former is now a different size. Then again I haven't seen it with trimmed skins. I'd probably have to paint quite a bit to have it make sense.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
That's a pretty big size difference Don. I have had this problem with MM aircraft. In some cases the former problem was not consistent throughout the model. Some formers were too big, some too small, & none just right. That's why we love to hate them I guess.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Though in defense of MM and all the Wasiaks everywhere, I ran into the same problem with the Hokum, which was designed by Halinski himself :p
Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the advice, guys!

My plan is to cut out all the skins and test fit them. Then I will have a better idea as to where I stand. If the skins match each other pretty well, then I will enlarge the formers.

There is also the issue of the formers not all matching the keel, but that's easier to deal with.

Don
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Don,
Looks like you've got your hands full with this one. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll do a terrific job.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Don I am looking forward to your build. I have read your other contest thread, and I believe you sir are a meticulous builder. Rick
Old 02-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice to see you have time to do this one, Don! My Hellcat has not arrived yet, maybe tomorrow. Gharbad is right the Hal a6m had some former issues too! However I've not ever adjusted the skins...who knows I haven't seen mine yet there's a first time for everything:D
Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Nice choice there Don. Looks like you are well on your way to working this one out despite the technical difficulties of matching colors.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Google Adsense