PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-02-2009, 04:57 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I believe pitot tube is the word your looking for...

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This is pretty interesting. I've never built a hand drawn Maly kit before. They look frustrating... but I do like the F-5, so it'll be good to see one go together.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Thanks for the idea Shrike, but I don't have one of those. How far do they reach anyway?

Thanks Ray, now I won't look so foolish in the future

Eh, you get used to Jim. You just can't expect perfect results, though I just saw some builds of this kit online - no idea how they managed it so flawlessly. You can tell it wasn't photoshopped either, because they didn't fix the camo. Hope I won't disappoint too much :o

Ok so I think I'm done for tonight... I pretty much spent the whole day on this instead of studying. I got some good progress though.

The cockpit was an odd little thing. The control panel was on a former, except it was the same size as the one at the front - clearly makes no sense because you're now a third down the cylinder. I left it floating, only attached at the lip of the fuselage. I made a joystick out of a paperclip, attached with a piece of cork underneath. The chair had to be modified to sit lower (or it would clip the canopy later), and the length of the seat didn't fit the length of the sides - I just folded it in different spots.
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2394.jpg

I had some issue with the skin not fitting over the former once I had the cockpit installed, but it worked out. Once I forced that on it went pretty nicely.
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2395.jpg

Here I'm just continuing the fuselage. I'm still thickening every former... it's either that or I trim the skins. This way the sections don't fit as well, but it preserves the graphics. I think next time I'll trim the skin to fit the formers. That abrupt dark color, by the way, will be almost entirely hidden. I expect it to blend very well actually.
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2396.jpg

In the second last fuselage section, you need to prepare for the stabilizers. The instructions say to use thick wire and glue them together. Seeing as how I can't really glue metal together or to the paper properly, I used toothpicks and a piece of cork instead, and left it loose inside.
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2397.jpg

I marked the intersection of the toothpicks so that I can position it properly once I sealed it up. I got a nice little crosshair, and glued it from the outside once right.
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2398.jpg

We'll see how that worked out later.

Edit:
Right, I forgot. The control panel former also had a HUD on top. I cut it off, because it made no sense. I'll glue it back on with a transparency (instead of lame drawn glass) later.

Last edited by Gharbad; 02-02-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM

The cheap 1/4 hole punch (OK, it's actually pretty nice, but inexpensive) has a throat a little over 2in (54mm) deep. A cluster of overlapping holes works to allow you to grab on to move the former around. I also make a point not to line up the holes in abutting formers. I usualy tack glue them together and sand them to match shapes, so offsetting the holes makes it easier to separate them afterwards.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 PM

I matched shapes before realizing they were too small to begin with. It's funny how quickly a plan falls apart.
I'll see if I can scrounge a hole puncher then, sounds like a nice shortcut. Won't use it on this one though, none of those formers left!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Wow! Look at him go! This is exciting, and good work Kuba.

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 PM

I can imagine how tough it is to build hand drawn Maly kit but your workmanship is very good!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Thanks guys!

That piece also holds the vertical stabilizer. It's supported by just a strip of card that you slide down through the top, and glue to the bottom. I lined it up being helped by the hole in the former yet again. [I guess the photo is a bit too dark]
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2405.jpg

And here it is, all attached together.
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2406.jpg

Next came the crest (?) that runs from behind the cockpit to the tail. This time I cut the formers larger than they're supposed to be and then trimmed to fit.
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2407.jpg

I don't know how common this method is for making wing-like sections, but I've run into it many times now. You stiffen the trailing edge with some card, sanded down. You also make a sock of paper to go around the support sticking out from the body.
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2408.jpg

Here it is attached and complete! Though, it did come out sort of crooked...
#10 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz F-5 E Tiger II-img_2409.jpg

Next up are the engines / sides.

Last edited by Gharbad; 02-03-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Are you sure that's a MM kit? Looks pretty good to me!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
It looks like this one is coming together very nicely Kuba. It is starting to look a lot like a F-5.

The 1/4 inch paper punch works well with a piece of 1/4 wood dowel for positioning formers.
Google Adsense