PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/old-toddleas-did-anyone-ever-actually-build-contest/)
-   -   OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz GAZ69 - 4/5-84 (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/old-toddleas-did-anyone-ever-actually-build-contest/2499-otdaeabt-2-maly-modelarz-gaz69-4-5-84-a.html)

Toddlea 02-04-2009 06:15 PM

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz GAZ69 - 4/5-84

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to attempt to get this finished by contest end. Although it doesn't have all the road wheels that my builds usually have, it does have over 11 pages of parts including frame, engine & drivetrain, suspension and lots of detail. It is printed with only a few blemishes and most of them are not on the hood or doors where they are noticeable. The green color is pretty ugly but at least the registration is good. Wish me luck.

Gharbad 02-04-2009 06:21 PM

Haha, I painted my room with a similar green to that, but lighter.
Have fun with it. Is it the original paper, or are you scanning?

Toddlea 02-04-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gharbad (Post 33468)
Is it the original paper, or are you scanning?

Original kit.

Gharbad 02-04-2009 06:51 PM

Really? How is it?
I tried one from the 80's or 70's, can't remember which, and the paper just snapped when you tried to fold it.

Toddlea 02-04-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gharbad (Post 33473)
Really? How is it?
I tried one from the 80's or 70's, can't remember which, and the paper just snapped when you tried to fold it.

It should be fine. I will probably use the steam trick on the rounded parts.

Don Boose 02-04-2009 07:14 PM

This looks like a major challenge!

redhorse 02-04-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddlea (Post 33477)
I will probably use the steam trick on the rounded parts.

When you do that, please explain your technique and take a lot of pictures! Can you get a decent compound curve that way?

Papercut 02-04-2009 07:27 PM

I have not built a Maly Modelarz kit yet, got one coming for the OTDAEABT2. Anyhow I keep reading about the poorness of the paper the kit is printed on. Would spraying Clear Matt Acrylic Sealer help to strengthen the paper to keep from splitting or cracking @seams. Or do you recommend something else to help keep this from happening.:eek:

shrike 02-04-2009 07:40 PM

Prayer perhaps<g>

I've got a couple of spare kits I'm thinking about taking a steam iron to before I begin - see if I can force a little moisture back into the paper.

CharlieC 02-04-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papercut (Post 33480)
I have not built a Maly Modelarz kit yet, got one coming for the OTDAEABT2. Anyhow I keep reading about the poorness of the paper the kit is printed on. Would spraying Clear Matt Acrylic Sealer help to strengthen the paper to keep from splitting or cracking @seams. Or do you recommend something else to help keep this from happening.:eek:

Probably not - the original card was low quality stuff which has only become brittle and discoloured as the residual acid in the card attacks the fibres. Unless you could soak the card in acrylic to strengthen it I don't see a satisfactory way to use the original model. Best solution seems to be scan and print on modern card. I notice that the models from the 90s onwards seem to be on much better card - I've got no complaints about the MM Tiger model (1998) - I wouldn't try to build the MM T-38 (1989) I've got from the original pages.

Regards,

Charlie