PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Ok - here's the picture showing I've started cutting and gluing. I also try to demonstrate 2 techniques for this type of model that I've picked up from people on the forum. The first is using the hole punch to put 2 circles into the formers instead of cutting out the big circle. This allows one to use tweezers or needle-nose pliers to handle the former. The biggest benefit is the ability to turn the former much easier to get it aligned correctly. The second doesn't show up as well, but the plan is to glue the former slightly inside the edge of the paper. This should allow a butt-edge joint between the 2 fuselage sections, but allow the glue to fill the former to former interface, still giving a nice strong joint.
The second picture I'm including is of my 'collection' shelf. This shows the extent of my modelling ADD, with the other 3 builds I have going on all up there (this shelf is one of probably 3 places in the house that I haven't seen a cat on or messing with - so it's safe ).
Attached Thumbnails
#2 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly modelarz Ki-44 Shoki 5-86-mm-shoki-03.jpg   #2 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly modelarz Ki-44 Shoki 5-86-add-1.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good start, Dan, and a couple of good techniques, too.

Thanks for showing us the under construction shelf. That Corsair looks great!

Where's the Wahlfisch?

Don
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Aviation Moderator

Actually, since the Wahlfisch was published as a colored version before I could finish my white 'beta' model, it's been put on permanent hiatus for the existing version. At some point I'll reprint the final version and give it a go. I think in a smaller scale actually, as that was it's intention. I just have so many things I want to do, and that one has fallen behind a bunch in my interest at the current time.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:21 AM

Who published the Walfisch, Dan? I am a fan of the WWI Rolands.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Aviation Moderator

Zealot Hobby Forum - It's available free on Zealot - drawn by Getter1 (I have his name somewhere but it escapes me at the present time - I'm much better with faces ).
Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM

I remember somewhere you mentioned about tough time on your job and I guessed you are busy tackling a difficulty but am glad to see you started building the Shoki.
Punching out 2 holes on the former is interesting idea I want to use it someday.

Cheers,
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Aviation Moderator

Thanks for commenting Yu. Yes, currently I'm working an afternoon shift. So in order to see my wife and son during the week, I wake up in the middle of my 'night' to spend 15 or 20 minutes with them while they are getting ready to leave, then go back to sleep. That leaves me extra tired during the week - or spending extra time sleeping. (BTW - it's 8:15PM and I'm currently on my 'lunch' break).
I will say that I've done cutting and gluing on the Mr. Hyde Corsair and the James train engine as well as the Shoki since I started - so this contest actually provided me the inspiration to get back on the wagon so to speak. That by itself makes it worth any hassle the model may give me :D
Old 02-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Aviation Moderator

Not much progress - but some. Overall considering I'm dealing with rough, hand-drawn lines that are smudgy at best and missing at worse, it seems to be going together fairly well. Once I put the formers into the longest section pictured here and glue all 4 together, I'll know if I managed to get a straight fuselage - fingers crossed
Attached Thumbnails
#2 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly modelarz Ki-44 Shoki 5-86-mm-shoki-04.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The sections look good Dan. I hope they all line up for you.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks good, Dan. You are way ahead of me. I have the fuselage framework put together and hope to post something soon.

Don
Google Adsense