PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
#2 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly modelarz Ki-44 Shoki 5-86

Well, in a bid to garner the 'most insane method of entry' I traded a perfectly good Lukasz Fuczek designed model (in this case the Modelik ME209) for a nice vintage Bodian Wasiak WW2 airplane. (Surely this was a brilliant trade for Don - maybe one would say I 'boosed' myself? :D).
The kit just came in the mail - and I must say the first problem I foresee is one not anticipated - there's parts where the outlines seem to be missing. I'll have to get the camera out and show you in the next couple of days - but should be interesting to get past. I did manage to find a scanned copy online (since I own the kit, I have no qualms about using up their bandwidth to obtain a backup copy) - so if necessary I can use that to help fill in the parts in question.
As far as the kit goes, it's a large folded sheet of card that approximates four 8.5 x 11 sheets, plus 5 instruction pages including diagrams. The kit is relatively simple, no cockpit interior, simple formers with no joining strips. There are a couple wire templates for landing gear and to make the prop spin. The kit of course has various color misregistration issues and is of course high quality 1986 card stock looking well weathered. I anticipate excessive blade usage and still to have 'ripping' instead of cutting at times.
As far as the plane depicted, there is no numeric or character designations, it is a dark 'olive' top, grey bottom and has a lime green stripe on both the rear of the fuselage and vertically on the stabilizer.
I'm including a picture of a scan of the cover I found online.
I don't know when I'll get a chance to actually start working on this one - but I have managed to clear my desk off so I can get to a cutting surface and tools - so that's a start!
Attached Thumbnails
#2 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly modelarz Ki-44 Shoki 5-86-mm8605c.jpg  

Last edited by dansls1; 07-02-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Hmmm...."boosed". I guess we could come up with a suitable definition. It can be used both as a verb and an adjective. Sort of like "plutoed" - to be demoted to a level below what you previously were. Maybe same category as "Dilberted"?

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Ray

You're forgetting the obvious noun usage of "boosed" 8v)
Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Welcome to the misery Dan!

[just kidding really, it's still fun]
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
And it isn't as if I didn't give you fair warning about the kit, Dan.

I should have checked the markings to see if I could figure out what the unit is supposed to be before I sent the kit. Once you post the pics of the model, I'll give it a shot. Based on your description of a stripe across both the tail and rear fuselage, I suspect it is meant to represent an aircraft of the 47th Independent Flying Company(Dokoritsu Hiko Chutai), the "Kawasemi Buntai" or Kingfisher Unit, that first went into operation with the Ki-44 in Southeast Asia and later became the 47th Sentai in the homeland defense role. We'll know more when we see the pictures and Charlie C., Mike Krol, or Mark the Shrike may have another opinion.

Don (The original "boosed," none other genuine without my face on the cover.)
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Aviation Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
And it isn't as if I didn't give you fair warning about the kit, Dan....
Don (The original "boosed," none other genuine without my face on the cover.)
Don't take my post as a complaint - I knew what I was getting into. My goal is to get a model that looks like the actual plane from about 10' away - as I think that's about the best you could do with this kit as is. But that's the fun of this contest, right? Making the best you can with what you've got.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Definitely not taken as a complaint! Your description of your goal is my goal with ANY model I build -- stand off scale!

I still can't believe that I owned -- never mind sent off to you -- that kit of a Japanese warplane without ever tracking down the unit markings. I plead advancing age, multiple competing high-priority tasks, and fighting off the attack virus! I look forward to seeing a photo so I and the other markings mavens can argue over what hiko tai the airplane is supposed to represent.

Don
Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I can help with the photo. Unit hovewer is a mystery....
Model built by Marek The, borrowed from Konradus' site.
Attached Thumbnails
#2 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly modelarz Ki-44 Shoki 5-86-mm-ki-44.jpg  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb
25th Chutai used that stripe parallel to the leading edge of the fin (59th Chutai's stripe was at 45degree angle - not parallel)
Green stripe would be 4 Sentai if there was one, or misinterpretation of 2 Sentai's red stripe.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Aviation Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
I can help with the photo. Unit hovewer is a mystery....
Model built by Marek The, borrowed from Konradus' site.
Well great, that's a standard I certainly won't be able to live up to - especially since I can't see doing a clear canopy with no cockpit details. Plus I am a bit nostalgic about growing up building kits in the mid to late '80's which always just had the blue paper canopies...