PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Kevin, looks like you got the skinning process right regardless of the method. I can not give a definitive answer, different people use different methods. I have found what works for one does not mean it will work for you, however I believe spray, UHU large one or good ole white glue would all work. Just depends to me what you are the most comfortable with. I am sure some of the tank guys know the best answer for your question. Again, you are doing a great job. I noticed your paint in the back ground. Did you just pick a color, or did you mix to try to get as close as you could. If you are not afraid to try to come up with correct colors by mixing, give Vallejo paint a try, water base, easy to mix if you use their thinner while mixing. Rick
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
I noticed your paint in the back ground. Did you just pick a color, or did you mix to try to get as close as you could.

Rick,
I just use cheap 'ol acrylic craft paint. To make choosing a color easier I made a cheat sheet that shows a sample swatch of each of my colors. Most of the time I'm able to just pick one color that's close enough. If not, I can generally get the color pretty darn close by mixing just two colors together. On this build I'm mixing a little camel into a color called "olivine" green.
Attached Thumbnails
#12 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SU-100 10/1983-sherman-045.jpg  
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Thanks for the answer,. Kevin. I agree that what works for one may not be right for another, but knowing some of the other options is a great luxury!
Chris
Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is a "folding bone". I've got all kinds of strange images in my mind right now!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Rick,
I just use cheap 'ol acrylic craft paint. To make choosing a color easier I made a cheat sheet that shows a sample swatch of each of my colors. Most of the time I'm able to just pick one color that's close enough. If not, I can generally get the color pretty darn close by mixing just two colors together. On this build I'm mixing a little camel into a color called "olivine" green.
WOW a man who is not afraid to mess with paint. The color chart is a excellent idea. One of the things that makes paper models so fun is the coloring. I have bought so much art supplies until my wife thinks I am a painter. I like the name of the colors you are using to match the kit colors. I think colors that do not at least come close, take away from the build. Now don't get me wrong, do what is best for you, I just as I see you too, like to get in the ballpark on the color. Good work and I am watching your thread. I like the subject you picked.:D Rick
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
I've got all kinds of strange images in my mind right now!
We don't want to go there!....

A folding bone is a simple tool that is used to make folds in paper. It is made from a piece of bone (I've heard that it is whale bone but I don't know if that is true or not, but it is defenatly a bone from some animal).
It is carved to a rounded point on one end (can be used for scoring) and polished to a very smooth finish. I believe it is made form bone because of it's hardness. Hard plastic would melt from the friction generated when using this tool. You can pick one of these up for a few bucks at a craft store like Michaels or AC Moore.
Attached Thumbnails
#12 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SU-100 10/1983-su-100-011.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Rear deck finished.

Here is an update of my progress from earlier today. I have finished the rear deck and many of it's details. So far, the fit is exceptional - Let's keep our fingers crossed that this continues. Up to now the only thing that I'm not pleased with is the color of my scans. The printed sheets are a much lighter shade of green then that of the original kit. Oh well, it's too late now to go back and re-do it. I guess I'll have to live with it. I think it looks kind of like a great big green frog :D
Attached Thumbnails
#12 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SU-100 10/1983-su-100-012.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 11:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Great work Kevin. The model has a lot of nice detail. I look forward to seeing more.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB

I made the exact same rear with my MM T-34 - except with a quarter of the detail. Great detail, great work!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Wouldn't be too concerned about the colour - the official 4B0 colour was only approximately adhered to by the factories - the priority was to crank out huge numbers of vehicles.

You can often retrieve nearly the original colours if you rebalance the scans with Gimp or Photoshop - there have been threads on this in the past. This article - How to clean up a scanned image: engravings has some useful techniques.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense