PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-23-2009, 04:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to moonwoka
Actually "Plastikowa osłona kabiny do samolotu" IS the canopy. Literally "plastic canopy for aircraft". And "Fly model" (aka Gomix) did release Fw-189, but that was a long time ago...
Old 02-23-2009, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
That was Fly Model No 55.
There is no guarantee that the canopy will fit precisely but it's worth a try...
Model-Hobby offers great variety of models and accessories if you are worried about the shipping for just one item :D
Old 02-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Unfortunately, I think I have already used up my paper model money for this year! I think I want to try and figure out how to do this canopy myself. It's more of a challenge, and costs less.
I think I can do the main section of the canopy. It looks difficult, but mostly just more of the same. It's really only the conical back section that has me stymied. I'll work on it.
Chris
Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 AM

I decided to try a quick experiment to see if I could do the conical section quickly;
I printed out a copy of the kit section and assembled it, then sanded a piece of broomstick to roughly match;
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1322.jpg
I used the wood pattern to heat and stretch some blister pak material over it.
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1326.jpg
I did four of these and it looks like I may be able to get enough out of them to do the canopy section. It's going to be tough matching up the joints, but I'll give it a try and see what happens. Anybody see a problem with this approach that I don't?
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1328.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Good job Chris, I've been making canopies this way for years. It usually takes me a few tries, and careful trimming to get one good enough to use, but it works and is cheap. I have sculpy around for other projects and first build the paper canopy from the kit to use as a mold. then smooth it off after baking the sculpy to harden it, and this has been working fine. I think it takes trial and error, caution with the heat source, and a bit of practice, I find it to be fun, though. The nice thing about the packaging plastic if you find some nice thick stuff, is that when heated it becomes shiny and looses surface imperfections.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Glen,
Do you do anything more when you make your canopies? I though of cutting a piece of wood with a hole the right shape to push the canopy shape through to get a full canopy. Can you get a full canopy just using this technique?
Chris
Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM

OK, question for you historians. On this kit the emblem (squadron?? I have no idea) is colored on one side, but not on the other. As I'm going to color the uncolored one, I thought I should check and see if the color on the colored one is correct. The figure appears to be a rope climber (possibly Arabian?) blowing a trumpet. Any ID on this one? The color (just one) is a yellow-olive green.
Also, any info on the markings? H1 in black to the left of the cross and a red E followed by a black N. The black on this kit is weak and just slightly out of position, so the markings almost disappear in some light.
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1333.jpg
Chris
Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Here's a photo...

5.jpg (image)

"H1" is the code for Aufklarung Group 12 (12th Reconaissance Group) - didn't find much more.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks Ron. That's definitely the same character, but he seems to be marching in that photo. He's climbing a rope in the kit. Did MM just get it wrong, or were there different versions of the emblem?
Curiouser and curiouser...
Chris
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Always start with The Luftwaffe, 1933-45 to decode Luftwaffe markings. The decoded form is:

H1 - Aufklarungsgruppe 12
E - aircraft code
N - 5 Staffel

5 Staffel was active on the Eastern front from 1941 to 1943 flying Fw189s until it was redesignated 2/NAGr2 - the Fw 189 was used as a light night fighter to counter the Soviet U-2s.

Don't know about the unit emblem.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense