PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-13-2009, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98

The darn Lenin car is driving me nuts, so I'm announcing my next entry whether I ever get to it or not. This will give me something to look forward to and get me to finish the Leninmobile ASAP.
This is the MM FW 189, nicknamed the "Owl";
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1280.jpg
I've always been interested in the look of this "mostly glass house" observation plane, so hopefully, I'll be able to do it justice.
The kit is eight pages, including formers, printed on decent, but not great, paper;
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1281.jpg
There appears to be a pretty good interior (for a MM kit). The printing is just a hair off on the black, but I don't think it'll be all that noticeable.
I may not get to this for a little while, but there's still plenty of time left and I wanted to stake my claim on this one!
Chris

Last edited by dansls1; 07-02-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
i was considering that one too
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 PM

I sensed that, Rick. That's why I rushed to post this!:D
Is there a rule in the competition that precludes two of the same kit? I know we've tried to avoid duplications, but it could be interesting to see two modelers building the same kit. I'm not afraid of looking like a fool by comparison (my wife will vouch for that).
But seriously, if you've got your heart set on this one, I have other options and I'll pull this one.
Chris
Old 02-13-2009, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I tried this one actually. I made a huge mess of the glass house with my poor cutting (like confetti...), and I think one of the engines didn't want to fit at all. Then I just threw it out...
NOTE: I may have just given up, the engine thing is a vague memory.

The interior does come out pretty cool. Just be sure you're really careful cutting out all those windows... maybe some CA or something would help. Unless your knife is laser sharp or something.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Chris, it is all yours

I have in my possession, and after the race cars, a serious contender for a build, the Jelcz Container truck also from 1976, some 12 pages of parts, and of the same paper consistency as my two race cars

I am thinking about that one, or building the GDR version of the SCUD missile carrier mentioned in the Freshly Unpacked forum.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 PM

Rick, you're a gentleman of the highest caliber! I do hope you'll do another entry for the competition, but I have to admit, I'd love to see the launcher built!
Chris
Old 02-22-2009, 08:04 PM

A cold's got the best of me and had me down for the past few days, but I'm starting on this one anyway! Not surprising for a twin boom aircraft, there's plenty of formers to go around;
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1318.jpg
I'm holding off any of the more delicate cutting till I feel a little less wobbly. Unfortunately, the very first sub-assembly on this one is the canopy, lots of exacting cutting;
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1320.jpg
So I think I'll move on to whatever sub-assemblies I feel confident with for the moment. The biggest issue I see is how to achieve a decent look for the rear end of the main pod. It's a glass taper, essentially, and I was hoping it would be a series of funnels, but the design is one of those where the glass sections are split;
#8 - OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz FW-189 8-9 '98-img_1319.jpg
Not sure what I'll do here, but I need to come up with something that won't have cut transparent plastic showing, if I can avoid it. Perhaps some heat-formed sections or a series of funnels. Suggestions welcome!
Chris
Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks an aweful lot like the P61 rear glass. I cheated and ordered one of the Fly Model plastic molded pieces for when I build my P61, because I couldn't come up with a decent alternative plan.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Chris,
I think you just lucked out :D
.: WWW.MODEL-HOBBY.PL :. Internetowy Sklep Modelarski - Modele Kartonowe, Modele plastikowe, Akcesoria modelarskie
Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 PM

HA! I can't believe it! Michael, that's an amazing coincidence! Is Gomix releasing a FW 189??? And is anyone in the US carrying this canopy?
Chris
Google Adsense