PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great so far, Ron.

I take it that this is the Navy version of the A-10 optimized for carrier ops?

Don
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
21 FEB Parts 35 through 42 - The front sections of the pods are also straightforward with circular cross-sections. I didn't pay attention to Diagram 9 and had glued all the skins and bulkheads together before I realized the intake ducting and fan are actually a bit larger than the diameter of the intake opening. I will not describe the process I went through to get the duct/fan sub-assembly in there but it all worked out OK. I did the second pod according to the diagram and had no problems.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM

LOL - Yes, Don - hence the reduced wingspan for more efficient stowage. It didn't help it's glide performance, however.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:05 PM

21-22 FEB Parts 42 through 46 - The rear section of the engine pods has some more of the peculiar A-10 geometry in that the exhaust duct is angled and does not lie on the horizontal plane of the pod. This and the pod's relation to the fuselage horizontal reference is well illustrated and should cause no confusion to the builder. I colored the interior surfaces at the rear so no raw paper was exposed.

Left side done...

Both done...

Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM

22 FEB - Engine pods and struts done.

Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
This is looking very nice Ron! Should be one massive bird when done. Did it come with the full load out as well?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 PM

23 FEB Parts 47 through 57 - The tail assembly was quite straightforward and presented no problems with exception of the horizontal stabilizer spar length. As presented, it protrudes beyond the outer surfaces of each vertical stabilizer. Since there is a two piece plate (parts 56 and 57) that is glued to the vertical assemblies at that location I merely trimmed off the excess spar and sailed on.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM

This model does not have any ordnance load although there are full-size illustrations of a GBU-10 Paveway II bomb (Assembly XVIII) and an external fuel tank (Assembly XIX.) Apparently those items are "do it yourself" additions for which parts are not provided.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM

25 FEB Parts 58 through 66 (Left) - The outer panel for the left wing was relatively easy to assemble. As with the wing stubs, I preformed the skins to the airfoil cross-section and assembled the panel upside-down, gluing the upper skin to ribs and spar and then completing the bottom once the top was dry. I added an additional brace perpendicular to the front of the spar - about 0.5 inch wide running from inner rib to outer rib. The model has braces which align the ribs to the spar at the correct angle but the spar was a little floppy in the horizontal plane (my thinner laminating again) but I wanted the extra brace to keep it straight.

The most challenging bit of the wing was the tip. The fit is perfect but it took awhile for my mind to get a handle on what went where. Again, the diagram provided was adequate for illustrating the geometry but it took much slow, careful in-hand fitting to get the tip sub-assembly together. The tip curves in about every direction possible, all at the same time. After the first one was done the second was much easier. Again, the fit was excellent once I finally accepted the intended shape of the parts.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Ron,

Have you taken a look at Kancho's free weapon offer?
Kancho's Paper Wings - downloadable Cardmodels!

he has all kinds of ordanance available for various missions

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense