PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The hull looks quite different to the Vickers 6 ton tank. I guess the Poles changed the engine deck to fit the diesel engine into the hull. Incidentally the 7TP was the first tank to use a diesel engine.

Pity Maly didn't colour the tank in the "Japanese" scheme - yellow sand, brown and green separate by thin black stripes.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Something a little more colorful would be nice. The images I have found on the internet are not consistent as to the configuration of the rear deck. Some do not have the vents but solid steel plates. The plates appeared bolted on. The other variation is the location of the exhaust system. Not unexpected given the times I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
#4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-7tp.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The 7TP production run went for about 4 years (1935-39) - I guess there was the usual changes to production vehicles over time. It also shows how limited Poland's production capacity was - 140 tanks in 4 years - The Russians cranked out 12,000 T-26s (the equivalent to the 7TP) in 1931-41.

The camo scheme on the 7TP in the image you attached was the immediate pre-war scheme. (http://derela.republika.pl/vickers.htm)

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 03-15-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 AM

Thanks Charlie. Personally I like this color scheme. It seems to be the same pattern just different colors.
Thanks Chris - It does look strong, no worries about the sides or top caving as parts are added. I think it has more to do with the bracing though.
Attached Thumbnails
#4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-7tp-cam.jpg  

Last edited by B-Manic; 03-16-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: cowbell?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It IS an attractive color scheme. I presume you could accomplish it on the existing model with an airbrush and some brown paint.

Our oldest daughter's husband is Polish and the thought occurs to me that a model of this tank would be a suitable gift for him some day. I have been following your modifications closely, Douglas and all of your work on the hull seems doable to me.

Once you get to the undercarriage, I will think again and, depending on how complex it all turns out to be, decide if I want to attempt this one. The problem is that you make it look deceptively simple, but there is clearly a lot of experience, skill. calculation (and cunning) behind your "simple" modifications.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 AM

Thanks Don. The thing with these kits is they can be built with as much detail as you want to add or just flat as printed. Both the TPs have very little cluttering up the hull. This makes the build straight forward. All I am doing is building up what little there is on the hull to give in some dimension. I have built some parts up more than they would be in reality because it pleases me and makes for more depth. I like the texture it gives the overall effect.

My wife and daughter went to Vancouver for the day. So once I got through the honey do list I got a couple of hours building in. I finished the louvers in the vents, built and added the mud guards and braces, the drivers position, and utility/tool boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
#4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-tank-0.jpg   #4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-tank-1.jpg   #4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-tank-2.jpg  

Last edited by B-Manic; 03-22-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks great, Douglas! The overall effect of your dimensionalizing is excellent. Sometimes just a little exaggeration makes the visual effect more realistic.

Don
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 AM

A tank without a turret is like a day without sunshine. Its a sunny day and there is now a turret. The barrel looks a little thick but otherwise I think it will do.
Attached Thumbnails
#4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-tank-3.jpg   #4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-tank-4.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Doug, you are doing a great job as usual. It seems to be moving along pretty quickly. I can't wait to see the running gear take shape. I like this model a lot, at some point I'll have to add it to my to-do pile.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks Kevin.

As you and Don have noted the running gear is rapidly approaching in the building que. I have to think about how I am going to deal with that. There are a lot of hand drawn circles that unfortunately are not round. Apparently the artist never heard of a stencil.

The problem with the tracks is similar. How do you cut out all those treads and get everything on the inside layer to match up with the outside layer when even side by side parts are different.

The first pic is the kit track parts. the second is my solution.
Attached Thumbnails
#4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-trk-0.jpg   #4 - TDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 7TP 1/97-trk-1bw.jpg  
Google Adsense