PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
I'm looking forward to this one! Good job Will including the old corsair, even if considerable mods needed, I'm with you, I think the challenge is to try to make one of these old kits closer to present standards. (might be asking for trouble..paper is not always forgiving)
Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Despite the fact that manyof you would have made life boring for Corsair pilots I appreciate the encouragement.

Not much done but I have one pic so I'll post it. As mentioned the leading edge of the wing root angled down more than the rest of the wing so surgery was needed. I cut the panel lines around the induction intake and oil cooler and then trimmed as needed. As mentioned I had already cut some of the part away for the purpose of my own modification and this would have been more difficult if not for that.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33-001.jpg  

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Making good in turning an ugly duckling into a swan gives us a feeling of satisfaction and an opportunity to improve our skill so I like your way.

By the way, thanks to your suggestion you gave me a couple of months ago I am going to purchase Rhinocelos asking for one of my colleague’s son who enrolls a university this April.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:05 AM

Thanks Yug. Hopefully I can improve my building skills as they are not as good as I would like.

I hope you enjoy working with Rhino and will look forward to seeing what you can do. There is a learning curve so don't get discouraged if it takes some time to pick it up.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks really good, Will. You certainly bring a great knowledge and feel for the aircraft to this challenging build.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 AM

Thanks Don. It certainly is helping to have an intimate knowledge of this airplane but it also makes me wince a little to see the incorrect proportions.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
You really love this plane, Will. I bet this paper will be converted into a great Corsair.

Keeping an eye on it!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:26 PM

2 spars are better than one

Thanks Gerardo. I mentioned it in Billys XP-67 thread but I know you wanted to see me do a nice F4U instead of upgrading the F2G. Well the plan is to eventually convert the model into a F4U-4. The winscreen and cockpit in the Super Corsair are the same so it shouldn't be a whole lot of work to change it over.

Getting back to Bohdans masterpiece. The scratch built rear spar is in place. I had a little gap in the skins hence the filler (Dap Lightweight Spackle). The trailing edge has been fairly easy to convert but I think the leading edge is going to be a bear.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33-001.jpg  

Last edited by Willja67; 03-22-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
An F4U-4 in Korean War USMC markings would be nice.

And your revisions to this model are nice, too.

Don
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Minor progress

Spent a little time building and this is what I have. The stain on the third pic near the kill flag is my own blood. I accidentally jabbed myself with my exacto knife. Any extra points for bleeding for and on your model?

The way the model is designed the piece of fuselage where the cockpit is located just continues the turtle deck up to the front windscreen but to get it to fit under the canopy our dear friend Bohdan made the angle change too abrupt for me so I cut it out and will rebuild it. I might end up cutting back to the next panel line drawn on the fuselage since in reality the turtle deck really did have a change in contour starting there. In deference to Toddleas rules I will simply put in a deck at the level of the canopy rails and paint it black since I am allowed to make a clear canopy but not allowed to scratch build a cockpit.

I'm fairly happy with the fuselage except for the one complaint already mentioned the placement of some panel lines and the tail cone. The tail cone is way too wide (where the white piece starts) but I figure I have taken too many liberties with the build already and will leave as is. I am going to cut out that notch in the tail cone that the tail hook is visible in.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33-008.jpg   OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33-009.jpg   OTDAEABT Maly Modelarz F4U Corsair 1:33-010.jpg  

Google Adsense