PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 04-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz RWD-10 7/88

Here's my entry. RWD-10 Acrobatic trainer of the late 1930's

Three pages of the classic MM blotter paper, which fortunately hasn't gone all brittle yet. The printing is four solid colours with good registration and no subtlety to it at all.

I was able to carve out some building time due to Easter, and a houseguest trying to keep kashut, which rules out all the baking and ham I'd be doing otherwise.

I'm building up from the original kit, with all of the joys of ancient paper. The paper doesn't want to delaminate as badly as others, but it does tear easily and seems to have enough silica in ti to dull blades pretty quickly.

The formers, what few of them there are were laminated to a suitably thick backer from a note pad, and we're off!
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3255a.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3288a.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3289a.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3315a.jpg  

Last edited by dansls1; 07-02-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 PM

The fuselage structure is unusual on this kit. The sides are full length single pieces, which wouldn't be strange if the cross section were square, but it's curved - elliptical.
"So what?" says the ship modeler, to whom long, unbroken, yet curved side are the norm.
Well, there isn't a keel, just bulkhead formers.
With vaguely indicated locations.

In fact it goes together much as I imagine repeeling (disunpeeling?) a banana would go. It get's a tiny bit banana shaped as well as the build progresses too:o

The formers are supposed to have joining strips wrapped around them - a method I've always found a little iffy -and dry fitting suggested that it wouldn't be absolutely necessary. Well, maybe. In a couple of spots.

The bottom is given as three pieces. Two separate panels at the front, and one with notches that is supposed to cover the last 3/4's. The first two panels help locate the formers.

Pretty good to start, but as the third piece went on, cutting, fit and operator error crept in and things went pear-shaped - banana rather.
I decided to cut the bottom into individual pieces and start over from the tail.
The turtledeck panel luckily enough was a simple straight conic section and that helped to locate and shape everything. I did have to add a small scrap former to keep the sides straight and add some strips to the headrest former.

The last bottom skin went in witha bit of trimming. It's a little bit wonky, but it's also on the bottom, so I can live with it.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3316a.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3318a.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3319a.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3321a.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3323a.jpg  

Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Well, aside from the initial feeling that you are insane... but that is not a bad thing from my point of view... it looks fairly clean. The frequent use of the term "banana" is fairly descriptive too. I give you enormous high marks for building in the original paper. I did this with the Maly FW-189 (no pictures EVER forthcoming although I still have it) and must say that the experience is - well, different.

Intersting subject too. Good luck.

Carl
Old 04-12-2009, 06:52 PM

The forward turtledeck and cockpit combing went on easily. The fit at the intermediate former was off by about 4mm, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

There is a rudimentary cockpit, but it's primary purpose seems to be setting the space between former C and D. Honestly not worth a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3324a.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 PM

Only one picture here, then I'm calling quits for the day.

The nosebowl for the cowling really makes me understand the Polish penchant for putty and paint. It could use it, but avoiding those thing is one of the reasons I've embraced paper.

The top half, three quarters really, of the cowl is grey/silver. I'f I'd scanned it, I could probably fix it, but I prefer to explain it away.

You see, Jan was retiming the magnetos, so he took the cowl off and set it out of the way. Jerzy - we all know Jerzy , he couldn't find his dupa with both hands - backed over it with the airport truck. Now if Jerzy's sister wasn't the manager's ...favorite.. he would have been sacked straightaway. As it was,in order to get it back in service, Jan had to pull the cowling off of the silver one that's been in the back of the hangar ever since that unfortunate incident with the near sighted bull....

Doubt my sanity will they?
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3329a.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Smile Oh, that Jerzy again..

No need to explain, we've all had our encounters with Jerzy, haven't we...

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 04-13-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looking good!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a pretty airplane and you are doing a great job -- nice recovery from the bananaization that took place with the first attempt, although I can't imagine how you managed to cut the fuselage apart and reglue it.

Don
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Looks great Mark!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
It's a pretty airplane and you are doing a great job -- nice recovery from the bananaization that took place with the first attempt, although I can't imagine how you managed to cut the fuselage apart and reglue it.

Don

Luckily I caught the banana before it ripened. There's really only one segment of skin that's that far off, and like I said, it's on the bottom.

Next step is wings. They're tapered in plan and section, but promise to be much easier (if not as accurate) than the PWS