PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!

Ok, I'm going for it! With only a few days to the deadline, and working long days seven days a week, I'm going for one more MM model! Call me a fool (you won't be the first or last), but I love the pressure!
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2321.jpg
This is the '91 model of the JU-87B tropical Stuka. I've built this kit three times before, but never as originally designed and I feel it needs to be properly represented in the Stuka collection... yeah, that sounds believable.
This is not one of Bohdan Wasiak's better designs. It only vaguely resembles a JU-87B and I don't think even one of the formers comes close to fitting properly, but I still really like it. Something about it's crudeness fits my style, I think.
I'm going to try for a clear canopy as well. Even if I tried this model as a kid, I would make a clear canopy somehow.
Wish me luck, I'll need it!
Chris

Last edited by dansls1; 07-02-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Chris good luck, you lost me at "this isn't one of Bohdan Wasiak's better designs":D
Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Wish me luck, I'll need it!
I will wish you luck though I don't think you will need it.
Building a Stuka? I'm SHOCKED!! lol
At least, you should have a really good idea how it goes together!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:07 AM

I know it's shocking, Phil. I can barely believe it myself.
My wife hosted a ladies night last night, so I had a few hours to get a good headstart on this one. I had forgotten just how bad the fit and alignment is on this kit.
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2325.jpg
I remembered that few of the bulkhead formers fit, so I made sure to build the fuselage sections first and then cut the bulkheads to fit (as closely as I could).

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2326.jpg
In fact, of the ten fuselage formers, only three fit. The first one is at least 1/8th" too small on a 1" circle! I carefully cut a circle outside the former circle to fit.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2327.jpg
One or two of the bulkheads were only a sliver too small and were easy to adjust for, Knowing that they were too small.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2329.jpg
Despite all that, the fuselage does go together and fortunately the two worst match-ups are on the second main section and they will be disguised by the canopy, intake hood and exhausts.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2330.jpg
Oddly, the two nose sections have no formers or tabs whatsoever, so I cut a circle former for each, just to add strength.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2331.jpg
The misfits and mis-alignments are too numerous to mention, but the supposedly straight edge of this radiator cowling will give you some idea of the general fit of the model.:o

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2332.jpg
Trimmed and glued into place, you can see the alignment problem on the white sections where the exhausts will go. I'm graying those down so they aren't as noticeable.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2336.jpg
With the exhausts, hood and filter in place, the forward section doesn't really show the problems that much.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2339.jpg
The main bomb again shows the general fit of the kit, with the cone section being too large to match the next section.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2341.jpg
These are the serious bugs. The wing formers don't come anywhere near where they are supposed to be! In previous builds, I've had to cut multiple more formers or use balsa wood to build out to the proper level. Not sure what I'm going to do here yet.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2342.jpg
It's the same on both sides as well. This is as far as I've gotten and probably as far as I'll get for the next couple of days. Despite the troubles with this one, I'm enjoying building it again!
In defense of Mr. Wasiak's design work.... hmmm, I'll get back to you on that!:D
Chris
Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You are an inspiration, Chris!

Another beautiful model!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2009, 07:22 PM

Well, I was too darn tired to do much real work today, so I quit early and sat down on this bird. Good stress relief from the schedule I'm on at the moment (I'll pay for it later, though!:o).
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2347.jpg
I wound up going with dense styrofoam for the spacing in the wings. It worked out well; easy to fit and easy to cut the edge.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2349.jpg
The wings went on easily and it started looking like a Stuka.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2350.jpg
Then I just started building everything that was left in no particular order. This kit is a who's who of design mistakes and it's fun to spot all the little boo boos. Here, on the inboard flaps, you can see the marks for the hinge placment...on the wrong side of the flap!

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2352.jpg
The instructions indicate using wires for the tail supports, but I had some doubled over paper from making the flap hinges and I think it looks better.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2353.jpg
As I rushed to the finish line on this, I tried something different with the landing gear spats. The instructions indicate assembling the spats on the wheels and then gluing that assembly to the gear legs. But the spats are really unwieldy to handle, so I assembled the gear legs, glued the side of the spats on them and then glued the wheel assembly into the unfinished spats. This gave them the stability that made them much easier to fit.

#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2354.jpg
I chose to do a clear canopy on this kit, which it is not designed for, but which I simply have to do. I formed the machine gun blister on a warmed marble, glued the card frame onto it and then trimmed it to size.
Next up are the finished model shots!
Chris
Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Here she is, my last entry in to the OTDAEABT 2 contest: the 1991 Bohdan Wasiak kit of the tropical version of the JU-87 Stuka dive bomber!
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2356.jpg
While it's not terribly accurate, it does still capture the feel of the prototype.
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2357.jpg
The colors are too vibrant and I think that's what bothers me most about this kit.
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2358.jpg
Despite all of the design flaws in this one, it's still buildable, as opposed to that Lenin car I started the contest with (boy, was that a mistake!).
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2359.jpg
I simply blacked out the white cockpit area. I don't think it's as nice as a real interior, but it's not too distracting.
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2363.jpg
The instructions indicate using wire for the bomb release arms, but I had a box of toothpicks at hand that were a closer diameter.
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2364.jpg
Here she is on the Stuka "Wall of Shame" above my desk with her brother and sister. They are earlier modified and detailed models of the same kit.
#3 - OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz STUKA!-img_2367.jpg
I think I'll leave her here for a while, but I suspect I'm going to give her a pass with an airbrush to take the color down a bit.
Now on to the three remaining 1:33 JU-87 kits I haven't built yet. That's not counting the new one from GPM (can't wait to get that one!) and the one from Kartoon Model, which looks stupendous.
Chris
Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Came out great, good work. Can't believe you fit in another one
Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Another nice looking Stuka - not surprising I suppose
Old 06-28-2009, 10:55 AM

Dang, that was fast!!! Looks great and really like your wall display method.