PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Very very good, Chris... regardless the "enhancements" you did.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Well, kids, I think I may have reached the point that most people throw a kit away! From everything fitting fairly well, this kit has plummeted to where nothing fits well.
The top wing;

You might be able to see my pathetic hand rendered unit emblem ... sorry, Charlie, I really did try to do a better job.

After a long and drawn out battle, I managed to beat it into submission, but it wasn't pretty. :D The outer wing supports fit OK, but the faring pieces are iffy and I had to add additional slices to cover the gaps. That was the easy part.
Now this;

This little item almost made me give up paper models forever! The misfit on two of these four pieces was astonishing, even for MM. The alignment is fair to poor and there's a rather obvious miscoloring;

Very frustrating. I haven't glued the front former because I want to build a radial engine and fit it in there. Not sure of the size yet. I freely admit absolute ignorance when it comes to this sort of stuff. I build models because I like the way they look, not because I know anything about the prototype! I'm going to try and use a WWI model engine, the Oberursel. I'm sure it's all wrong, but for us ignorant folk, it's all right. It looks like a nice model that fits together.
Now I have a question for the more experienced out there. The bulgey things on the cowling (told you I was ignorant); the kit supplies white forms that I assume the builder is supposed to sand to shape and color to match as applied. I'm not convinced this is the best approach. I'm thinking of doing burnished pieces. I know they won't be as dimensional as the prototypes, but I think they might look a little better. Anyone have any input on this sort of thing?
As far as the rest of this kit...I have a bad feeling about those wheelpants.
Chris
Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well you made it further than I did with this beast. It's actually looking pretty good and I have an appreciation for what it took to get this far. The bumps on the cowling are fairings for the valve rocker arms (I think) and I would go with a burnished teardrop shape, maybe with a couple cuts on the sides to aid in curving it.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 PM

That's what they are all right. They are a very distinctive part of airplane and standard for the cowling of the BMW 132 radial. Same bumps on a Ar196 (MM's kit is buildable, except for the float noses)
The BMW132 was a metricized and developed Pratt& Whitney Hornet, so it's a pretty generic 50" diameter 9cyl radial.

I'd do the burnished teardrops for the lumps. They aren't really as big as they look in photos, but they do have to be there for the look of the thing.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post

You might be able to see my pathetic hand rendered unit emblem ... sorry, Charlie, I really did try to do a better job.

Chris
I think you should be congratulated for making the effort - in period photos the staffel emblems were often fairly crudely rendered - it's only on the post war professional profiles that the emblems look artistically good.

OldTroll - how about a bonus for an attempt to improve historical accuracy?

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 PM

That bonus was already given by the Wise and Generous Troll. Now he must assign demerits for pathetic begging for bonuses from the peanut gallery on behalf of the contestant.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post

As far as the rest of this kit...I have a bad feeling about those wheelpants.
Chris
You could always model the Hs 123 without the wheel pants since they were often removed to operate from muddy airfields. I've been trying to find an image of the Henschel without the fairings - so far the best I've come up with is a CG image (http://www.vectorsite.net/avstuka.html - scroll down to the Hs 123 section. )

Regards,

Charlie

More digging - u/c drawing http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/hs123hpm.html

Last edited by CharlieC; 02-27-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This has turned out to be a really fascinating thread, Chris. In spite of the problems, you are (as always) turning out a first-class model of what was a nice-looking airplane to start with. You've prompted an interesting and enlightening discussion, and have provided us with lots of information that will be useful in our own models.

Don
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Keep on going, Chris!!!!

There's light at the end o'the tunnel!!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
After a week on my back with a recurring disc problem (motorcycle in my misspent youth), I finally was able to hop onto my feet and re-attack the Henschel.
...wheelpants...

I have to say, I think I've done nine or more models with wheel pants and without question, these are the least satisfying. They're not horribly horrible, but..close.
The kit has some genuinely bad fits, but none of them are beyond fixing (physically, not visually).

My choice of radial engine turned out to be a trifle small for the Henschel, but deadlines being what they are, I decided to go ahead with what was available anyway.

I hope that overall, it's not that noticeable an issue.
Now after much to do, I decided to go ahead with simply burnished cowling bumps (forgot what they are called). I tried five or six patterns with cuts in them as per Ron's suggestion. They were great at getting the dimensionality of the piece, but I couldn't get a pattern that looked smooth enough that it wasn't a distraction to me.

They aren't particularly even or uniform, although all done from the same pattern, but I think less may be more when it comes to these items. The spacing of these, by the way, is off in the kit. The crooked angles are my fault, but the spacing isn't!

So all that remains is the antenna wire, I think.

The kit definitely has it's weaknesses, but I still like it.

The upper wing winds up being surprisingly strong and stable.

And while the kit is definitely a throwback to the "klunky" era of MM models, it does build up into a very solid model and flies around the room irritating my wife very well.
The most satisfying part of this build was finding the joystick that I had lost early on.
I was happy with myself for the job I had done on it (an early sub assembly), but moments later I lost it completely! Just before completion, I found it resting happily beneath some scraps. I was thrilled, as I really hate losing parts!
While I wouldn't recommend this kit to my worst enemy, I did enjoy it and I do like the prototype.
However, with the very near completion of this model, I think I have to relinquish further involvement in the OTDAEABT Contest, except as an avid observer. Sorry if I've abused the opportunity, but Ron had me pegged when he said "some" of us were just using the contest as an excuse to build all the old MM kits lying around!:D Guilty as charged!
My thanks again to Ron. My stack of unbuilt models is almost measurably lessened!
Chris
Google Adsense