PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden 3/96

My package arrived to day in excellent condition. I gingerly opened it to find my order; a MM Me109G, a GPM Bristol Blenheim, and there, nearly invisible behind an 1878 Indian Head penny was the Raiden!

Now I have to say that I'm the odd man out in this whole thing...I LIKE MM kits, problems and all. Sorry, I enjoy the quirkiness about the kits and when I get one together, I feel like I've really done something if it looks remotely presentable. I'm not a great, or even good paper modeler, But I do enjoy it and these MM kits seem right for me. I know, I'm nuts. Anyway, I have the earlier release of this kit from 1984 and I had to compare them.

My first concern was that the covers are the identical artwork. Hmmm, I began to worry. The original kit doesn't even supply the exterior fuel tank or spinner, only a plan to make them out of? Wood, putty...maybe.
To my relief, when I opened the new one up, it was clearly a redraw with much better color and printing...as well as being on much better, whiter paper! The printing isn't perfect, but it's not bad, either.

The bad part is that, otherwise, it's the same kit. No fuel tank or spinner...or exhaust pipes, or gun barrels, etc. But it does look like it's going to be a straightforward and relatively simple build (4 pages total). Hopefully, I'll get a chance to start it tomorrow!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Chris,
This is a very good kit and here you can find some upgrades for it
http://fk.konradus.com/modele/modele.php

Direct link
http://www.icpnet.pl/~kokoc/pliki/fkm11.zip
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM

I'm very relieved to hear it's a good kit! And thanks for the upgrades; the missing fuel tank, spinner and more! This should be fun!
Chris
PS. I think I nee a ruling from on high whether it is within the intent of the boundaries of the context of the competition to use readily available upgrades!?!?

Last edited by cjwalas; 01-19-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Those covers tell a funny story about Poland's currency... 40 zl -> 17500 zl -> 1.75 zl :D

(and I like MM kits too!)
Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Personally I think that if you use the upgrades, you also need to incorporate the 'smashed santa' from that page into your build as well
Old 01-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Got some worj done on this one today. Not as easy as I had hoped. I quickly discovered a nasty little habit of the paper. It delaminates from itself very, very easily. Not sure if this is just the paper or something that has developed over time (it is almost eleven years old). It's definitely that paper that likes to crease instead of rolling. Points on cuts literally fly apart;

But this isn't entirely bad as it was very easy to split the joystick paper, thus making it much easier to roll a thinner piece;

I started on the bare bones cockpit interior and everything fit like a dream;

Then the nightmare began. As I glued the fuselage pieces together, the outer layer of paper would peel free and they all had to be reglued down! I think this may have played some part in my big blunder;

Not even sure how it happened, as it dry fit pretty well. I'm curious though, as I've seen another build of this one with a problem in the same area. It's probably not an issue in the hands of a better modeler.
It is coming together, though, and should eventually resemble a paper model of something!:o

And yes, that is another MM kit in the background! It's a recolor of the '91 JU87B. Two MM models at the same time!!!

Almost finished with the Stuka. Now that's a kit with a few challenges!
Do I get points for masochistic Maly Modelarz tendencies??
Chris
Old 01-20-2008, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I don't think the paper problem comes with age, unless it happens after only 2-3 years... I've had that with a lot of MM kits.

That's a very nice Stuka by the way!!
Old 01-20-2008, 06:15 PM

I reported the same thing about the paper in my build too. As well as the way it makes it easier to roll things<G> It's still better than the chipboard of a few years earlier.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Keep fighting the good fight, Chris. Despite the paper problems it's looking good!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I doubt that the gap in the fuselage skin is due to your skills....I have similar things happening with my Hein kit, as my next post will show.