PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-16-2008, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This seems to be on the good side of the "old" models dividing line as far as fit goes. The paper and print quality are not very good but I have been pretty pleased with the fit for the most part. My dubious skill level has very little to do with how the project has gone so far. I'll be happy simply to finish one for a change. At least the public scrutiny and occasional harassment seems to be keeping me motivated.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Some MM's do work very nicely, and some get extremely annoying. This one was a mix to me...
The almost identical Fokker Dr. 1 was a great one though, with no problems.

I think MM is overall pretty good, but you just need to work harder in some places. The first Halinski kit I made just... came together on its own almost :D
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I know nothing about post-WWI Polish aircraft markings, but couldn't resist Googling "Poland Fokker D.VIII" and came up with this Wings Palette drawing: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/254/29/0/2_b1. The symbol was actually be a lazy S rather than the very similar infinity sign. One source (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...fo&FileID=7984) says it reflected the name of the pilot, Lieutenant Stefan, or Stephan, Stec, who shot down a Ukrainian Nieuport fighter on April 29, 1919, the first Polish Air Force aerial victory. He was also the one who designed the Polish national air force emblem (I imagine a lot of you who are familiar with Polish history already knew that) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Stec.

Don
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Occasional harrassment? Ha! I tried to give you a day off but you have provoked me.

Harass, harass.

Good job BTW, Ron. Glad to see a couple of braces in there. Around here I can find that wire in both brass and metal finish at craft stores and even at WalMart now. No painting required in that case.

I love biplanes, even this half a biplane, particularly with the lozenge pattern on it. This pattern is differently colored than the one on that Siemens-Schukert thing I did an age ago. I wonder which is correct or both?

If you flag I'll be here to give you a nudge. That's what friends are for, eh?

Carl
Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 AM

Thank you for the "encouragement", Carl and thank you for the info on the markings, Don! The lozenge patterns (the underside of the fuselage is in a lighter palette) seem to fall within the range of the half dozen or so that I have seen over the years.

Update - Aircraft 002 (ex-Fok. E.V 183/18) was assigned to Cpt. Stefan Bastyr based on an illustration found here The MM model text appears to assign Stefan Stec to Aircraft 001 (ex-Fok. E.V 180/18). His aircraft is illustrated in three different schemes on the Russian Wings Palette site. These two show the "lazy S" rather than the "infinity" symbol but are identified as ex-185/18.

(looks like the illustration from the Marek model)

While this one is ex-187/18 in a somewhat different scheme:

So - Stec? Bastyr? 001? 002? Olive upper wing surface or lozenge? Olive underwing surface or light blue? Ain't WWI-vintage aircraft fun?

Last edited by member_3; 01-17-2008 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Additional information
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
I love biplanes, even this half a biplane, particularly with the lozenge pattern on it. This pattern is differently colored than the one on that Siemens-Schukert thing I did an age ago. I wonder which is correct or both?
There were several different lozenge patterns - 4 and 5 colour, different 4 and 5 colour and printed on different cloth by several manufacturers and finished with many different batches of dope. Getting it right is sort of the holy grail of WWI aviation history. Samples of uninstalled original material sell for big $$$ by the square inch.

Add to that the fact that the Poles were using surplus and captured stocks where and when available, well. yeah.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 AM

Update to the update - the second illustration is not from the Marek E.V I have. That one is a rather bright green on the uppper surfaces and sky blue on the lower. It is identified as the aircraft of Lt. Stefan Stec, is numbered 001, has the "lazy S" and star logo and has the German serial "Fok. E.V 187/18". Just more mud in the waters.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Final update (at least by me) regarding the markings. Based on the photographs in Windsock Datafile #25, 3rd ed., 2001, Albatros Productions, Ltd. both 001 and 002 were flown by Stec. 002 is shown following a landing accident with the full "infinity" symbol and is identified as ex-E.V 183/18. 001 is shown in good order with the "lazy S" but the serial number is not visible. Based on the color plates and the lozenge pattern information referenced the lozenge colors are overstated, especially the reddish-orange on the upper surfaces. I have recolored the reddish lozenges to a closer representation of the "olive brown/dark blonde" they are supposed to be (pictures to follow soon).
Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Who authorized that recoloring?!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 PM

LOL - unauthorized; I have already been visited by the Paint Police and have been beaten within an inch of my life. I am currently applying medicinal liquids internally to ease the pain. But enough about me...

Wing is on and it was nearly painless.

From the rear - compare to earlier pics to see the result of the recoloring.

And from below - No recoloring done here.

Just the prop and some fiddly bits (including cables) and I can put this one to bed!
Google Adsense