PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
A little more progress. I got the forward fuselage decked in including the gun troughs. Here is definitely an illogical numbering sequence as the troughs are #21 and the decking over them is #4. No way could they have been stuffed in afterwards.

The troughs were the first thing that could be called a fit problem. The slots in the decking ended up being too narrow compared to their forward ends. Nothing a little trimming can't fix tho'.
The transition from square fuselage to round is always an entertaining one. The square end bulkhead is also scored an bent to reflect the firewall.

All of the decking seems to be a little wide - only about 1mm overall. Again no big deal, but I'm afraid that it will cause a bit of difficulty with the cabane struts. Oh well I'll figure that out when I gets there.

The second picture shows the delamination I mentioned before - highlighted in snazzy blue and red graphic to be more easily appreciated by
the judges. In the case of the cylinders it's handy. Just peel the inner layer out and it becomes much easier to roll up.

Cylinders in, with bent pins for puhrods (I have already straightened out the crooked one.
Next comes the cylinder fairings. I would really love to see the wind-tunnel results of fairings like this.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz PWS-A (BH-33)-img_1918.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz PWS-A (BH-33)-img_1919.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz PWS-A (BH-33)-img_1920.jpg  
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 AM

Looking good! The cylinders came out great!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
Next comes the cylinder fairings. I would really love to see the wind-tunnel results of fairings like this.
Dredged from memory (which might be wrong) ....

The helmeted fairings weren't intended as a streamlining device but to force air through the cylinder fins. With close set fins the air flow could stagnate at slow speeds and result in engine overheating.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM

You're right, a helmet cowl's main purpose is to force air through and around the cylinder, although it also cuts down on drag by presenting a much more streamlined shape to the airflow. Modern pressure cowls, especially on narrow airplane like F1's are very similar, although longer to accommodate 2 cylinders inline. (see blurry light coloured photo below for a helmet cowled radial)

The cylinders on the Avia have fairing behind the cylinders.(see darker photo in Super Fault Finding Macro Mode) This came into and out of vogue very quickly immediately before the Townsend ring was developed. The Bristol Bulldog is the only other airplane I recall making it to production with them.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz PWS-A (BH-33)-img_1921.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz PWS-A (BH-33)-img_1922.jpg  
Old 01-20-2008, 11:50 AM

Those fairings look really fine - even in SFFMM! That also reminds me that radial and rotary engines are hard to build and deserve some difficulty factor bonus!
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's just beautiful! Superb craftsmanship!

Don
Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Well, I personally would bive you -2 for the blurry photo. But radial engines are always a +10 bonus. Reference to SFFMM gives you an automatice 42, so you are well ahead of the game.

Really, this is a nice and clean model, particularly when dealing with (substitute local equivalent for excrement word here) paper.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the completion of this thing. It is nice!

Carl
Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 PM

I'd like to claim that the photo was intentionally blurred so as not to incur any additional penalty points for showing work not directly related to he contest build.

I'd also like to claim that the only reason that I'm not having an affair with >insert not tabloid-wh**e starlet here< is that I'm too busy building models.

Both of course would be utter lies<G>
Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Thats some nice work!! I do hope the jury would give you some well deserved points for that one!! You hear me Ron!!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Fine work. I've no time off for quite a while so I must live vicariously thru your efforts, I can almost feel the little fairings creased in the palm of my hand.
Google Adsense