PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-20-2008, 03:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I managed to get the fuselage center section finished up. With a minor exception, the parts fit have been quite good. That exception is that the turtledeck is about a thirtysecond inch (about one mm) too short. I don't think this is going to be a major difficulty, as the slight gap at the very rear of the fuselage will largely be covered by the canopy frame. I am waiting for Papermodelstore to deliver the canopy I ordered from them. The next step will be building the nose, then the tail section. My belief is that it is best to start with the center, then work forward, then aft. Same philosophy as skinning a hull....starting in the middle gives less distance for errors to accumulate and produce warped/skewed structures. Not shown tonight is the work on the section just forward of the cockpit (the machine gun bay, for want of a better descriptor). The dryfits have indicated a significant fit issue with this section....the back of this section has a smaller perimeter than the front of the cockpit section. This will result in a very noticeable gap on the aft bottom of the section. Since this will be covered by the wing skin, I don't think it will be noticable upon completion. The forward end of the section fits nicely with its former, so I still have hopes for a presentable final model.
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-center-section-3.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-center-section-4.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-center-section-5.jpg
Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking good so far!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nice work!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Well, other than your SFFMM (copyright cmdrted) sucking - can I say that here? - it looks fantastic! Good tight job on this baby. I cannot tell you how surprised I am that a part on this model was designed slightly too short. Heh.

Carl

For folks trying to keep up with the witty repartée, SFFMM breaks down to "Super Fault Finding Macro Mode" which is what we all find out is what happens when we scrootch our digital cameras down to closest image and then see all the cr#$p that any human eyes could never see. ref. CmdrTed of the ExressSquadronoftheinfiniteLOADandlessdesirablethi ngs.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Time for an update. Good old Maly fit problems have been giving me fits. When cutting out the skin segment forward of the cockpit section, I suspected that something wasn't quite right about the contour of the aft end of the segment. Well, I was right. The top of the segment has about a sixteenth inch gap between skin parts 3 and 4; the bottom has about a one-thirtysecond inch gap where the skin wraps around the bottom of the former. I filled in the top gap with a scrap of cardstock; the bottom gap I'm letting be, since it will be covered over by the wing assembly. Part of the problem might be in the forward end of the cockpit section skin...I think there would be a better fit with the former if the cockpit skin section had about a thirtysecond of an inch added to both sides of the skin section that wraps around the top of the former. That would pull the top of the cockpit skin forward by about half the width of the gap. Some Photoshop work would still be needed on skin part 3, but not quite as much correction would be needed.

I really started having some fits when I tried putting skin segment number 2 in place....the aft end of that skin segment is about a sixteenth inch too short. I finally managed to fit it on the former by trimming off the joining strip, and cutting out the gun trough portion of skin segment 2. This, of course, leads to some mismatch between panel lines on the two skin segments, as illustrated in the second photo below. Using the skin segment as is turns the roman nose profile of this ship into a slightly semitic profile. Correcting this part in Photoshop is going to be tricky, as the forward end of the skin segment seems to be properly sized (it fits perfectly on its former). In order to make the size correction, and not screw up the match on panel lines at the bottom of the fuselage, the additional size needs to be introduced by adding a skinny pie-wedge shaped new segment into the skin piece 2 on both sides of the part, between the first and second panel lines....which will probably introduce a fit problem at the bottom of the fuselage that presently does not exist.

I decided to just use bond paper for the gun troughs. I curled a strip of bond around a bamboo skewer, and used the skewer as a support for the strip when inserting into the gun trough cutout. After trimming, it looks pretty good. A little touchup with some black paint, and the end result is presentable.

The white strips at the fuselage segment joins are not gaps....they are the uncolored areas caused by the poor color registration in the printing process. I have been haunting the local craft stores trying to find just the right shade of olive green to do those touchups with. The good news is I now have every shade of green that Ceramcoat makes. The bad news is that none of them are an exact match.

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-nose-1.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-nose-2.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-nose-3.jpg
Old 01-22-2008, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's going to look nice, regardless.

I sympathize: I finally found a near match for the Sky shade of my Hampden among my vast collection of Tombow and Faber-Castell brush pens (with the unlikely name of "glacier blue" and a color on the pen cap and color chips that is totally misleading). Still no precise match for either of the browns, but one that is sort of in between and close enough to color the tabs.

However, my experience has been that trying to color the fuzzy areas a gaps in bulkhead-to-bulkhead joints doesn't work out very well.

Don
Old 01-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Some more progress on the Hein. This is probably going to cost me a penalty, but I find myself taking this build seriously, despite the quality of the cardstock. I'm taking considerably more time than I initially figured on, what with all the fiddling trying to get as good a fit as I can.

The front section of the fuselage is a bit different from most, as it has a petal-type design to build in the compound curve of the nose section. Taken slowly, it's not too difficult to do. I'm going to take the extra time to factor in allowing the propellor to turn.

As you can see from the fuselage in the background, I'm having my own color matching disaster at the joins. The first attempt came out too green....now, it's too brown. I suppose I'm going to have to take the fuselage down to the hobby shop and see if they have any paints that will give a better match. However, I can always claim that it is just weathering, and it's really oily corrosion at the panel edges.

I'm starting to suspect it is a lost cause trying to convert Maly kits to joiner strip construction. The butt-joined segments let the designer get away with murder with respect to sloppy fits and panel line misalignments between the skin segments. I gave up trying to make the center and rear section join as originally intended. I wound up going to a hybrid technique....I cut down the joiner strip, turning it into some tabs on the bottom of the fuselage, and putting in the upper half of the former into the rear fuselage section. During the dry fit, I was able to get a reasonable alignment of the panel lines, and the contour mismatch between segments is located down at the bottom of the fuselage, where most people won't be looking too hard.

The final photo in this post shows a neat little tool I found at Michaels in the Boy Scout pine-box derby display. It is a drill mandrel for turning wheels. The screw is long enough that it should accept a stackup of cardboard disks just fine. The hole size required in the wheel is larger than we normally want in cardmodeling, but that can be compensated by bushing the hole with a bit of 1/16 inch OD tubing....one more item for the shopping list for the next hobby shop visit.

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-nose-4.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-fuselage-join.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-wheel-mandrel.jpg

As a post-script....for some reason, I am having to use Firefox in order to make the photo insertion work. Explorer is preventing the attachment popup from popping up, even though the popup blocker is set to allow popups on the site. Any thoughts on how to beat Explorer into submission so I can quit changing browsers whenever I want to make a post?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:38 PM

How long is the screw on that mandrel? I've got 3-4 of them from various Dremels and Demeloids but the screws are only about 9mm long. By the time you get it screwed in 4mm is about the limit for wheel thickness.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM

One can never take one's hobby too seriously! A penalty? Nay, sir, you may garnish a bonus and the treasured Overzealous Adherence to Fidelity (OAF) award! Onward and upward!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM

Shrike, the threaded length of the screw is about 17 mm. It will easily accept a wheel thickness of about 3/8 inch....now does that make your heart just go pitty-pat? It chucks down nicely in my Dremel and Dremel knockoffs....and costs less than $3. Good find?

Ron, thank you for not smiting me.