PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-15-2008, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61

The mailman brought my kit today. Looks as if it will be the first to be built in the new hobbyshop....even if it isn't finished yet. Enough of the construction is done that I don't feel guilty about taking a little time off from carpentry to slash a little paper. I finshed the framing and electrical on the wall I will put the worktable against. One thing I have not stinted on is electrical outlets....the 18 foot length of wall has a grand total of eight duplex outlets, most of them over a meter above floor level. As the design is shaking down, there will be one distribution circuit per wall in the workspace area. Running me a small fortune in Romex wire, but hopefully worth it. I will spend tomorrow morning putting up insulation batts in the new framing, then start slicing paper. Pics to follow.

So far as the kit is concerned, it is typical 90's Maly. It is a recent enough release (1993) that the cardstock is white, not manila brown. However, the card texture is pretty rough....I expect to encounter some problems when I try rolling it. Color registration and printing are what one would expect from this vintage Maly....slight color registration mismatches (enough to notice up close), color voids, so-so draftsmanship, etc. As designed, the fuselage is comprised of body segments to be butt-joined together. I intend changing that to joining strip method...I think there is enough flexibility in the rules to allow that. So far as detail, there is a basic cockpit, but no wheel wells. I compared it to the Answer and Betexa Ki-61 kits in my stash. If this were not a shake-and-bake build, I would try kitbashing and inserting the Answer cockpit into the Maly model....which in a rational world would lead to questioning why do the Maly if one has the Answer kit?

By the way, the penny is dated 1883, and is at least good condition. I guess the difference between a good and fine classification would depend on whether one was selling or buying the coin.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:01 PM

The 1:1 build is far enough along I managed to set up a temporary work station and start making confetti.

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-framed.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-wired.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-insulated.jpg
Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 PM

Now onto the 1:33 build. First, the kit. Followed by the obligatory shot to prove paper cutting in progress. Rather an interesting seat setup. It almost looks as if the seat is equipped with shock absorbers. Now I have to trace down where I put my stock of wire....more pics later.

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-01-kit.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-02-cutting-started.jpg
Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hmmmm...should I give extra credit for concurrent workshop construction??? That may be a matter for the Department of Unfinished Hobbyhouses (DUH).
Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A good beginning!
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 AM

WOW.....I made the POTW!!!! And with a Maly Modelarz build, even.

Hardly into the build, and already some fiddly stuff. As said, the seat is supported by what appears to be a shock-absorbing cylinder system. The support in the back of the seat is simply a small cylinder of paper glued to a snippet of wire. The main support columns, though, are totally paper, and very tightly rolled. I've noted a few questions in the forum about how to make such parts, so I risk boring you with some detail shots of how I go about it. First, I cut the part so there is some surplus paper on the sides of the cylinder to facilitate handling it during the forming process. I start by burnishing the back of the part over the area that will be rolled, strokes going the length of the cylinder. Once the card stock gets limber, I trim off the excess paper and roll the part between thumb and forefinger into a tight cylinder. I then open it out, apply a thin layer of glue to the inner surface of the cylinder, and roll it back into shape, twisting it every so often as needed to keep the seam straight. When it is fairly well worked into shape, I then brush a bit of thin superglue down the seam. Not only helps seal it, but adds stiffness as well.

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-seat-column-1.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-seat-column-3.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-seat-column-2.jpg
Old 01-17-2008, 03:06 AM

Managed to get the photos a bit out of sequence, but you should be able to get the gist of my cylinder technique. Now a shot of the seat with the main support columns attached, and the seat assembly in place on the cockpit platform.
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-seat-columns.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-seat-assembly.jpg

One item for designers to consider. The support column parts are laid out as identical parts. That means that, if you position the part so the seam is hidden on one side, the seam will be visible on the other side. It would be much better to lay out the parts as mirror images. That way, the parts on both sides can be positioned so that the seam will be hidden from view.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 PM

The cockpit tub is about complete. It's amazing how far a couple of bits of wire go dressing up a model.
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-cockpit-tub-1.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-cockpit-tub-3.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-cockpit-tub-2.jpg
Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That's looking mighty fine, Darwin!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
OK, Ron, so tell me really slowly now WHY you wanted people to use perfectly good build time (ahem, Halinski kits for example?) on Malys? You're just cruel? Shoot, I have some really clunky stuff lying around that PMS sent me if you really hate somebody. Hey!! I just figured out why they sent it to me! Hmph.

Carl
Google Adsense