PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Excellent work!!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yeah. Ditto that.

I forgot to mention in my previous posting that I always thought the D4Y3 and 4 were rather awkward-looking airplanes (beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder) due to the tacking on of a radial engine to a fuselage designed for an in-line (also true, to a lesser extent for the Ki-100 IMHO). Sometimes, as in the P-36 to P-40 and Hawker Typhoon/Tempest to Tornado and Sea Fury, the airplane resulting from an in-line to radial or vice-versa transmogrification works beautifully (speaking of aesthetics, not aerodynamics -- although I suspect the two are related), but not always.

But I digress. What I wanted to say is that, not only have you built an aircraft that is more accurate than the kit-designer and manufacturer provided, but you have turned what I have always thought of as an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan. Your Judy is a classy lady!

Don
(Obviously writing in haste.)
Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.60 MB
Thanks for the compliments, Old Troll really came up with way to make a good forum even better, let's keep it that way.

I'm caving on my next build..it was going to be a Huey "Slick" (Fly Model) but it looks like a little too much right now so I'm back to the stack of kits looking for the next pile of paper to cut up.

Steve
Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Sometimes, as in the P-36 to P-40 and Hawker Typhoon/Tempest to Tornado and Sea Fury, the airplane resulting from an in-line to radial or vice-versa transmogrification works beautifully (speaking of aesthetics, not aerodynamics -- although I suspect the two are related), but not always.

(Obviously writing in haste.)
The Typhoon/Tempest/Fury family development was quite complex with H-engines replacing radials and vice versa (http://www.vectorsite.net/avcfury.html).

Can I add my plaudits for a nice looking build - not that I know much about aircraft models.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 PM

Thanks for this additional info and website, Charlie. Very interesting. It also occurs to me that the nature of the Vulture and Sabre engines and their cooling systems led to airframes with fairly broad cross sections in the firewall area that were thus more easily and gracefully adapted to radial engines than were the Ki-61 and the D4Y1/2.

Sorry for the hijack, Steve, and good wishes on your next selection. I'll be watching eagerly, whatever it is.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2008, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Thanks for this additional info and website, Charlie. Very interesting. It also occurs to me that the nature of the Vulture and Sabre engines and their cooling systems led to airframes with fairly broad cross sections in the firewall area that were thus more easily and gracefully adapted to radial engines than were the Ki-61 and the D4Y1/2.

Don
I could be accused of gratuitous thread hijack but....

The Sabre engine wasn't all that big - beside a Merlin it's smaller but boxier (if that makes sense) - I've never seen a Vulture engine but I'd guess it would be voluminous. I think the Hawker idea was that the airframe had to be capable of handling very high engine power (some of the late Sabres were rated over 3000 hp) so it was big and solid - P-47 style.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 02-13-2008, 09:30 PM

All good points, Charlie. I think I've said more on the subject now than I know or understand and I agree with your ideas on this.

Back over to you, Steve.

Don