PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
And here they are,... Not as nice as the pics I took yesterday but they'll do. Nothing was added today but these pics show the fiddly bits that I did on MLK day. Did the exhaust stubs, canopy pieces, radio mast, and the wing box spar. I count the box spar as the most fiddly cause it's like trying to glue noodle pieces together till the glue starts to set and then through the magic of mechanical engineering it becomes a rigid box capable I think, of supporting a flying version of this model.

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00117.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00118.jpg  
Old 01-23-2008, 12:12 AM

Ooops! I actually forgot the most fiddly bit of all, ...the tiny mirror above the canopy! I did not find ( no really I mean it) the kit parts for this thing so I cut a short bit of floral wire and glued it to a small square of silver paper. Then I added a more glue to build up a rounded back and painted the backside black. Well worth the effort don'tcha think since it shows up so well in the photos. Ok, OK I'll try to use the macro thing tomorrow to get a closer view of it.

Cecil
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
You are a brave man to put some of those fiddly bits on before the wings. I'd surely break them off 2 or 3 times if I'd have done that. I tend to have to make my own assembly sequences due to my clumsiness
She's looking good though!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:51 AM

Here's a few more pics. The first two show my near disaster with edge coloring using a watercolor pencil. I'm used to paper which will allow me to wipe away any stray color marks. As you can see in the first photo this resulted in a horrible smear.

Fortunately I had a scan of the model to fall back on. I was able to reprint the affected areas on thin paper and simply re-skin them. This technique has saved me time and time again. It also lets me correct alignment errors by re-sizing part of the model.

The second photo shows the result. Sorry about the fuzzy pics. I should have used the macro mode on my camera.

And finally I have the wing pieces cut out. With all of the fussing over stray color marks this is a far as I got last night.

Onward, ever so slowly.

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-new-1.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-new-2.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-new-3.jpg  
Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 AM

Nice recovery. I like the scanning/reskinning idea also. Must file that one away in the "Tips and Tricks" folder.
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2008, 05:41 PM

Does scanning and reprinting mean he'll lose the Crappy Paper Bonus Points in the final judging?<G>
Old 01-24-2008, 05:45 PM

That is definitely a question for the Commitee for the Restoration of Antique Paper (CRAP) to answer!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Surely the (CRAP) commitee will recognize the crappy paper still existing under the new skin. Does this mean that crappyness is only skin deep?

Cecil
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 PM

Of course they will - and don't call me Shirley!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
FOWL.....no one ever said anything about Airplane quotes!!!!!!!! Sorry, Ron, but somebody needs to hold your feet to the campfire. PPPPPPfffffffbbbbbBBBBBttttttttt (Blazing saddles quote).