PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Don,

Don't know about a paper Vengance... I do have the Meta Model Vultee Vanguard. It's on a very long list of "must do" models.

Cecil
Old 03-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks pretty finished to me (though I haven't looked underneath it...). Nice job!

www.geoghegan.us
Current build: GPM Halberstadt DII
Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I think you definitely deserve the "Two Spitfires in Two Months" award, Cecil. Both of your Spits look mighty fine!

I have a couple of copies of that Vanguard, too. I also once built a peanut scale P-66 stick-and-tissue model using Dave Diels plans. It simply wouldn't fly, but I still have it as a shalf model.

Don
Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 AM

Don,

You must have more shelf space than anyone I know.

I recently snagged a vintage walnut bookcase at the office with a glass front. I've modified it to use the glass as a shelf and drilled holes in the top to light the interior from above. When I actually get a few models in it I'll post some pics.

Cecil
Old 09-27-2015, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 613.72 MB
I am presently reading old building reports in this forum, so pardon me for digging up some rather old threads.
I have tried my hands on this model twice. First time was a complete disaster: I was new to MM kits and used to the very precise german Wilhelmshaven and Schreiber kits, so I wrongly expected everything to go together smoothly. After experiencing serious problems with parts fit, expecially the formers, the half finished model languished on the shelf for a few years, then I threw it away.
Second try, a few years later. By then, I had built some Fly Model kits, read a few building reports in internet forums and I was wary of the problems that could arise on the way ahead. Also, I had bought a Dremel and learned how to use it to sand formers to shape.
So I copied the kit on 200 gr/sqm cardboard and the formers twice, just to make sure.
Now things went quite smoothly.
Things I changed: I added parts of a 2nd main spar in front of the original one to get more glueing area. I built this model (as I do with most aircraft) with the landing gear retracted, I left off the ferry tank and I used the plastic stem of a "cotton stick" to make the airscrew rotate freely.
I did not change the strange colours of this kit: For me, it has got a kind of vintage charme, similar to old tin toys. The only thing I refined was to colour the edges and to paint the inside of the canopy, because I built it partly open to show the gloriously simple cockpit interior.
One more note: This kit bears a striking resemblance to the old 1/50 Wilhelmshaven kit of the MK.VIII, especially the unique way they tried to model the curved wing leading edge. I canīt help but wonder if there was the copy cat on the way...
I published a building report in the german forum kartonist.de
Even if you probably wonīt understand the german text ( I am a bad punster and tend to write a lot!), have a look at the pictures, they may tell you some stories.

Cheers, Martin
Building: Cavalier Mustang chase plane by David Winfield, 1:33
Not a native english Speaker. Thus, constructive criticism is always welcome!
Google Adsense
Old 09-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Martin,

Thanks for your comments on my model and for the link to your model build. I think that yours came out much better than mine even though mine was good enough for me to keep and display for several years now.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your build thread though I suspect most of the punny bits were lost in Google translation.

Curt
Old 10-01-2015, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 613.72 MB
Curt,
it was in fact quite encouraging for me to read how other modelers cope with the problems some models pose. I refrained from weathering my model: I consider this an art I have yet to ascend to.
I just tried to have my building report translated by google and I still have to wipe the tears of laughter from my face. Please look at the pics, not at the translated text!
If I ever will feel very depressed, I will repeat this experience. :D

Regards, Martin
Building: Cavalier Mustang chase plane by David Winfield, 1:33
Not a native english Speaker. Thus, constructive criticism is always welcome!