PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII

Now that the Santa Fe postal service has finally decided to allow this package into my possesion I must say that I am delighted to open up the incredibly well-packaged envelope to find a 1901 penny, a very nice GPM F-82 Twin Mustang and the Maly Spitfire.

The good news is that it's a Spit, one of my fav's and I'm sure one that many others also admire. From looking at the model instructions and doing some internet searching, I was able to discern that it was flown by G.R. Duval with the 152 "Black Panther" squadron during 1943-1944 somewhere in India or Burma. So it's a pretty interesting subject. The 152 squadron has a very extensive web site at: http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/index.htm That's where I found the pics of W/O Duval and the squadron mascot "Pooch".

The bad news is that the colors are pretty far off as is the color registration on medium blue and yellow. If you look closely even in the attached thumbnails you can see white crescents in the insignia roundels.

So what to do, what to do? My current plan is to build it without cockpit interior and with as few mods as possible to the original kit. Then if it actually goes together, and I still like it enough I may try to re-color it and build it as a 1/48 scale model. Right now I see the potential for a very nice and somewhat accurate build.

But who knows for sure, I'm probably just dreaming here.

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-maly-spitfire-thumbnails.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
That's actually the first model I ever built, though my dad did most of it.
I think the fit is very good on this one, since the completed model looks ok, but I don't remember if my dad had to toy around with it.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Kuba,

Thanks for the encouragement. The cutting starts tonight!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM

Not much progress so far, I spent a fair amount of time with various markers and watercolor pencils in attempting to fix the blue and yellow mis-registrations and to change the cockpit interior sky blue to an acceptable green. Finally put down the coloring tools and cut out some formers. Whoooo Hoooo!
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00017.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Color change?!? Color change?!? Who authorized a color change?!? This will not sit well with the Commitee to Preserve Monochromasticity. Do what you feel you must but be prepared when the Paint Police (nobody expects the Paint Police) come through your door!
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM

No worries mate! The opaque canopy will hide my transgressions nicely. Heh, heh.....

Cecil
Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 PM

Made a bit more progress today. So far the parts seem to fit together quite well for a Maly kit. Here are some photos to document my transgressions with coloring. I think I managed to match the color quality of the overal model pretty well with my green interior. And from the department of just can't leave it alone I decided that the panther needed to be black, outlined in white like the reference photos and the decals used by the plastic model guys. Besides I got to use my favorite extra-artsi artiste brush. Also since I did not find any printed parts for the joystick I made one from floral wire (per model instructions) and added a "spade style" handle from CA impregnated floss.

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00017.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00018.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00019.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 PM

A few more photos to document todays progress. One more shot of the panther side, one to show my incredibly messy desktop, and and a closer view of the non-panther side.

To confuse the judges and avoid the paint-police all further views of this model will be taken from the non-panther side. I'm counting on Ron having even worse old-age related memory problems than me!

Somebody, please tell me how button snaps got into this picture!

And now a shout-out to my south-of-the border friend Gerardo!

Puuleeeese, I need to see B-25 build photos!

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00021.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00023.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00024.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 11:40 PM

Contest? What contest?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 AM

Nice work, Cecil! You should get some extra points for being able to put anything together in that mess!!!!
Google Adsense