PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've heard of plausible deniability.
Now we have denialble plausibilty
Obfuscation for all!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Day 2 progress

Here is what I managed to get done on the 2nd day I worked on the kit. There were so many fit issues that I don't know if it's worth it to document them all. The biggest one was where the frames for the engine pods glue onto the belly. The space is a full 1/4" longer than the frame so I guessed wrongly that the frame should be lined up towards the back of the plane, which is necessitating some redesign of the nozzles which I will probably show tommorrow. Without further ado here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-1.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-2.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-3.jpg  

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 01-20-2008, 11:22 PM

Day 3 Progress

Here is 1 shot of what was accomplished today. Sergeis boys either don't have updated drawings or they found some more wrecked migs to incorporate into the project ie the camo is very disjointed. There was a large white area near the front of each vertical fin that the designer never bothered to cover. I have limited resources to color with so I just used a sharpie. No detail shots but it looks like most of an airplane:
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-4.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 AM

That is almost certainly an airplane. It's actually looking rather nice, despite the various hiccups and alignment problems you have encountered. Promise Sergei and the boys more vodka if thay keep on working!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks great to me!

Don
(Ham-fisted Hampden Hacker)
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
It does indeed look sharp, you must have found a good workaround for the fit issues. Looks like some of these oldies were colored by some variation of the method of just tossing a can of paint around and hope some of it lands more or less in the right places.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM

Note that most of the shots are from a distance, there is very good reason for this. I have not put the effort into this that Most of the other guys are putting in. Their models look well built even if the kit is deficient. I don't need the FFL to see a lot of places where I could have made it better. Having said that I have enjoyed the process immensely. There is something to be said for not building your own design. If I find something wrong when building my stuff that means going back and fixing it then building it again now all I do is cuss the designer ( I do that with my own models to) but I don't have to fix it just make it work. I didn't have to work Friday or today so with that 4 day weekend I'm hoping to finish today. If I don't I probably won't.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Ivan has an airplane

Well the basics are all here, engines wings tail and a canopy so the wind doesn't peel Ivans face off. The fillet between the fuselage and the rest of the body was of great value in giving the model a finished look, I just wish the designer hadn't put all the cut marks on it, it was easy to form and no cuts were needed to make it form as it should. All that is left now is the fiddly little bits. I'm going to omit the landing gear, if The Troll decides to penalize me for it I've still got the missiles! I figure it will take me the rest of the time to get all the stupid little stuff on.

The first pic shows the forward section of the exhaust nozzlesthe one on the left is the original the one on the right is modified to correct for putting the engine pod too far aft.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-1.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-2.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-3.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-4.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest MM Mig-29 1:33-5.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Personally, I prefer aircraft modeled the way they look when in flight, watercraft the way they look when floating and vehicles right side up. So while you may lose a couple points for not modeling the wheels, you could gain a few by sucking up to the judge's personal druthers...i.e., "wheels up".
Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Good, saves me the trouble of having to hunt you down.

Google Adsense