PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Looks great already! Yours can't be quite the same grade paper as I had. It never would have made those tube forms without splitting entirely. But I'm sure yours is no picnic! Just wait till you get to folding the wings!
chris
Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
LOL - Your engine is cleaner than the Obereusel for my SSW D.III and I'm working with fresh paper! Hang in there, Shaun and remember, spit will overcome most inflexible paper problems - in moderation.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
It is a nicely done engine. Good work!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Oops - of course the engine on my SSW D.II is a Siemens-Halske Sh III, not an Obereusel! I have Obereusel on the brain because of the Fokker E.V build. Yours still looks better than mine!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That is one fine rotary engine, Shaun! Super beginning.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement!
Sorry about the brief post, but I didn't have a lot of time left after spending most of the evening building the engine.

This is my first ever pre-printed kit, so the use of 'spit' came in very handy to soften up the card for rolling. I can see myself buying more pre-printed kits in future.

A couple of the cylinders did split the paper while I was rolling them but I just kept rolling, glued the split at the end and trimmed the excess. I then didn't roll it as tight for the final gluing, so that the cylinders all ended up the same diameter. (Or reasonably close to the same diameter!!) :D

The other annoying trait about this paper is that it soaks in the edging ink very easily.
I have a set of various ink markers that I use to color the cut edges and they work fine with normal card, but this stuff just drinks the ink. It is particularly noticable on the engine support bulkhead. I switched to a smaller black ink pen and it is better, although my 'almost dry' brown marker gave the best results. (I may need to leave some markers with their lids off for a few days!!)

The one thing I am happy about is that the propellor should spin when the model is complete. This will be the first paper plane I have built with that capability.

I am really enjoying this, and after the first tentative steps, I don't think I will be mortified if I do stuff up in this forum!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Spinning rotary engines are always fun.
(Did you do that with your Fokker Ron?)

How do you plan on attaching it?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 AM

This next stage was a lot simpler than the engine. However, the teeth-like tabs were an incredible pain to cut out. I was really getting a sore hand but persevered. The joystick was also difficult and thankfully the splitting paper was a bonus, discarding half the paper enabled me to roll the stick tight enough to fit into the cockpit. The rest of the parts came together very easily.

Although I have proceeded past this point, I have run out of time to post more now.
Expect an update in 12 hours!! :D
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_fuselage-1.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_fuselage-3.jpg  
Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very fine
Ein-
dekker.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 PM

As promised, the second part of my build.

This was a rather tedious process as I could only glue 4-6 tabs at a time. If I tried for any more I found it difficult to keep the pieces aligned while the glue dried. However the end result was well worth the effort.

I had marked the location of the rear bulkhead with pencil, so positioning it was easy. Although there was no mention of thickness, I decided to strengthen it with a piece of 0.5mm card. The cockpit had alignment marks on the fuselage, so no problems with its positioning either.

As you can see, I couldn't resist taking a photo with the top sections in place, but as there is still a lot of internal bits relating to the wing and tail, they are not glued in place.

As a slight off topic side note:
My wife finds the colors and design to be very garish and plain. This got me thinking about these paper models. Maly Modelarz models seem to receive quite a bit of flak for so many things but they really are a part of the paper modelling history.
So I don't mind the bright (inaccurate?) colors or untextured details, but what do other people think?
Should they be scanned, recolored and put onto better paper before building?
Or can we build them as intended - a record of how things used to be, before computers and virtual 3D construction?

Sorry for getting philosophical - but as a recent convert to paper modelling, I am interested in what others think, whether they be long time paper modellers or newbies (this century) like myself.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_fuselage-4.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_fuselage-5.jpg  
Google Adsense