PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-21-2008, 04:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III

Well my package has finally arrived today, of all days - a rainy Tropical Aussie day. At least that meant the postman didn't try to bend it to fit in the letter box!! I was thrilled to open up the well-packed parcel and see all the goodies inside. The 1908 penny was a welcome distraction, that even got my wife interested in what I recieved!!
Thanks for that inspired bit of brilliance!

I am really happy with the bonus Maly Modelarz models, as WWI Aircraft are a sub-interest of mine. Hopefully the fact there are two included in a single kit means they will be easier!!
This is the first time I have ever attempted to build anything like this, so be prepared for a fun time. Unfortunately my wife wouldn't let me start anything tonight, except to take the below photo and post this message.

Thanks again!!!
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-otdaeabt.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 AM

I'm glad to hear it arrived OK. Remember, you can build either one (or both) but only one can count for points. G'day mate!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunGamer View Post
Well my package has finally arrived today, of all days - a rainy Tropical Aussie day.
He's not joking about a rainy Tropical day - Townsville had 100mm (4 inches) of rain in a couple of hours last week.

Charlie
Old 01-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Lots of ribs and spars! Looks kind of like a kit for a stick and tissue model.

Looking forward to seeing the build.

Don
Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 PM

Well the first thing I did at work today is make a photocopy all the sheets. At lunch I will get to them with a red pen and mark bits that could be confusing or missed during the build. I don't understand polish but I can read the numbers and the measurements in the instructions. I am ignoring the "Pup" sections at this stage so I don't get myself confused.

Old Troll: G'day! I am really happy with the whole deal, including the postage time (11 days is more than reasonable considering. . . )
I really want to do build threads for both the Fokker and the Sopwith seeing it was the whole point of you adding the bonus model to our parcels. However I may not have time to complete the second one within the time limit. Just having a reason to sit down and actually try my hand at this is enjoyment enough.

CharlieC: Funny you should mention that rain . . . a 4x4 drowned my little car just after that particular downpour. I wasn't even in deep water, but the bow wave from the 4x4 was enough to flood my air intake. I am still waiting on the insurance company to tell me whether ithe car will be repaired or written-off. At least I have something to do now I am stuck at home. :D

Boosed: This is going to be an interesting build unlike anything I have done before. I am used to Fiddlers Green or Thaipaperworks' simple models.
The wing skins come on thin paper, so those ribs and spars are a necessity to enable the wings to hold their shape. Hopefully I can get everything to work nicely!!

I can see so many places where things could go wrong!!! :(
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 PM

When you finish the Eindecker consider the Pup as an opportunity to improve on your score. The highest scoring one will be the one that's counted. Good move on the copying - you should be OK if you test fit, test fit, test fit.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Shaun -- I, too, am a Fiddlers Green/Nobi kind of guy and entered this contest with some trepidation, but it has been fun -- even if my building is lagging behind. Sorry to hear about your flooded car and hope it will be clear sailing with the E.III. And yes, please do the Pup -- another in the endless series of my favorite airplanes. Don
Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 AM

A quick progress update. I managed to decode the instructions and have marked the copies to help me with the construction. The first section is the engine. This gave me plenty of opportunities to really hate circles. Already I am starting to see the problems with the paper everyone is going on about. There are a couple of bits to fix when the glue is dry but all the topics about cylinders are finally becoming clear.
The prop blades are supposed to be attached at this stage, but I think I will wait until later in the build.
The cockpit and fuselage is next . . .
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_engine1.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_engine2.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_engine3.jpg  
Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Nice work! Good luck with the rest of it!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Shaun -- I, too, am a Fiddlers Green/Nobi kind of guy and entered this contest with some trepidation, but it has been fun -- even if my building is lagging behind. Sorry to hear about your flooded car and hope it will be clear sailing with the E.III. And yes, please do the Pup -- another in the endless series of my favorite airplanes. Don
I think I'm figuring this out. In order for a plane to be one of Don's favorites, it has to have wings / or have had them at some point in time :D

Looking forward to this build. I've got a ton of planes I want to build - but someday I plan on doing some of these WW1 era planes.

Last edited by dansls1; 01-22-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Google Adsense