PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
That's magnificent
Old 02-28-2008, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
-
- POTW BONUS
- even a Troll must see the validity of that!!!
-
Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
An ugly plane but what a beautiful model! Very very well done, absolutely superb, especially when you consider what you started with!

[email protected]
Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Congratulations for the POTW!!!

Ah, man, I say it looks pretty nice!!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Thanks, everyone. I must admit that I'm a bit amazed. This was the most ambitious kit I've attempted and to have it turn out at all well really gives me hope that I may make a dent in the huge pile of paper kits I've amassed. Still, I'm sure I never would have made the first cut if it weren't for Ron putting this contest together, and I wouldn't have made the second cut if it weren't for Leif (the godfather of this build), and Don, Shrike, Dan and all the others who so willingly give their support. What a great place to be making and sharing models!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2009, 05:20 AM

Hope that zobmiefying this old thread won't be counted against me :D. But I thought this would be the best place to post my comments on experiences with building this model, which I should be able to finish in a couple of days now.

First of all, this is my first model after approximately 15 years of a break. So I might be a bit rusty on my skills hehe. I've decided to introduce the following changes to the model in comparison to the original one:

1. Make a real engine instead of a "black hole engine". I made it using... some screws and nails (see: photo). This might not have been the best idea, but my next one will be better, I promise!

2. Repaint the whole model. I used acrylic paint for that purpose. The colors may not be exactly the same as the original ones, but I'm partially colorblind anyways :p

3. Make the back canopy cover movable. This is still to be done, as the only things currently left to-do are the top canopy part (over the wings), the wing supports, and the back canopy cover.

I have another MM with this plane stacked up with the rest of my models-to-make, and I was thinking of attempting to make the P.12 version of WL using this as a base. We shall see...

By the way: does anyone know how the front part of the canopy was opened in Lysander? I couldn't find this information anywhere! Were its parts simply taken off and removed? I've seen photos of it with one side off (it didn't seem to hinge anywhere), and with the whole front canopy off...
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Westland Lysander Mk II-1.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Westland Lysander Mk II-2.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Westland Lysander Mk II-3.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Westland Lysander Mk II-4.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Westland Lysander Mk II-5.jpg  

Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 AM

The pilot's canopy is in three pieces that all slide back separately. The side windows just slide back on the inside, while the curved top section tilts up at the back, then slides aft.

You can see it here

Also here (link to middle of gallery)

Last edited by shrike; 02-22-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: inside / outside mistake - sorry
Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
The pilot's canopy is in three pieces that all slide back separately. The side windows just slide back on the inside, while the curved top section tilts up at the back, then slides aft.

You can see it here

Also here (link to middle of gallery)
Thanks, Shrike. I can see how the top section goes, but I entirely fail to see the side sections sliding back. I just don't see them behind the middle part, and where would they fit with the wing right behind them?...
Old 02-22-2009, 03:14 PM

A-ha! Look here. It looks like the side windows slide down into the fuselage like a cars. See the gap at the top where it is slightly open.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM

HA! Thx Shrike! [btw is your nick by any chance in any way related to Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos?]. I thought this would be the case. Unfortunately, it makes it impossible to implement in the model at this point in time, with the cockpit already assembled. Oh well... Next time.

The model is almost ready, I just need to print out the markings using a color printer somewhere, perhaps assemble a pilot, and spray the whole model with protective varnish. Once it's ready, I'll post detailed photos.
Google Adsense