PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)

Last year a friend introduced me to a nice video game called Machinarium.

It's a nice game where you direct a small robot through several levels in a robot city, solving puzzles that vary in difficulty.

The story is a bit lineal. It basically is a point-and-click adventure game.
But the graphics and music are incredible.

I really loved that game. The demo can be played here: Machinarium

More info:Machinarium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some weeks ago I found that a paper model of the main character (called "Josef the robot") was available.

The paper model can be downloaded for free from:
âÁŕ´ĹˇĂĐ´ŇÉ papermodel www.Modelgradas.com

This is my building of Josef the Robot:

The kit is a PDF file that contains all the parts of the robot and the base. Also included is an image with instructions, reminiscent of the instructions' console that can be found in the development of the game.

Although the model itself is very nice, I must confess I didn't like the instructions sheet. It is extremely basic, and if you don't have any previous knowledge on paper modeling, this may be difficult.

Another thing that can be of some trouble is the fact that the parts are not numbered. That's not a serious problem. Only a matter of personal preference. I like numbered parts when possible.

Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_01.jpg

You must be careful when cutting, and a frequent reference to the pictures of the model and the instructions sheet may be necessary.

I started building from the head. This is a classic petal-shaped dome.
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_02.jpg

The model originally has tabs, but for the head I decided to use connecting stripes, because I felt it would benefit the model.

Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_03.jpg
It looks "dirty" inside. But that's not dirt. It is remnants of the brown Prismacolor pencil I used to colour all edges. The glue smeared some of it.

The final result was very nice, and is really nice looking:
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_04.jpg

I followed by assembling a series of pieces that have similar shape and are built almost the same way.
This is a bit tedious, but it helps a lot to make them all at once.

They are: eyes, hands, feet, and the small top of the head.
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_05.jpg Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_06.jpg

After that I assembled the arms (easy task, just roll and glue), and the legs (bit more difficult: they are curved and require more work).
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_07.jpg
The assembling of those tiny "fingers" was really difficult for me. Those are small pieces with several folds. Patience (and a magnifying glass) is required.

The following step is to assemble the body.
It is made with three big "rings" and the upper/bottom supports.
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_08.jpg

After spending a couple of hours trying to figure out how to make it, I had to cut some extra stripes of paper to glue them to the inside/outside borders of the rings.
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_09.jpg
The idea is that the rings are movable, so that the body can be retracted.

This are all the parts before the final assembly:
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_10.jpg

And here's Josef assembled:
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_15.jpg Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_16.jpg

Then it's time for the base.
It is really a model in itself. It has 18 single pieces, and took me longer than I expected. The result is great.
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_11.jpg Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_12.jpg Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_13.jpg Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_14.jpg

And finally, a couple of pictures of the final model with the base:
Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_17.jpg Josef the Robot (Machinarium)-machi_18.jpg

I really enjoyed building this model. Probably because I was already biased from the nice experience of playing the game. But besides that, it really is an enjoyable model: you go from the very basics of modeling, to the challenges of some solutions. I found the base specially entertaining.

It took me like 12 hours to finish this model completely.

The design itself of the character makes it an attractive model. And small mistakes are forgiven given the rustic nature of the original artwork.

Colouring the edges helps a lot to give a nicer finish to the model.

I found that assembling the legs is critical for the final look of the model. A bad assembling can lead to a very unstable robot that cannot stand for itself.
In my case, a leg was a bit longer than the other by a couple of millimeters. It meant that it could not stand at full height. Only whit the body retracted and in certain parts of the base it could stand stable. Of course, one solution is to glue the feet to the base.

Josef the Robot's height is over 19 cms (21 with the base), and in my opinion is a nice addition to any collection.

Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks for the link to a very nice looking model. You certainly did a good job building it. The Machinarium game sounds similar to Myst or Riven (both of which I've played). There was another game I completed once with Claymation characters - similar to the other games mentioned with brain teasers and puzzles to be solved, and wonderful graphics and music.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Exclamation Josef the Robot

Hi, I've tried repeatedly to download Josef, but am not getting him. I'm able to download other things on that site, but not him. It's saying it's a .rar file? Any suggestions? I'm taking a college course that requires us to play the game and would like to take the model to class with me so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Ruben Andres very nice build and thanks for the advices.

Gracias y un Saludo desde Argentina
Alcides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrikye View Post
Hi, I've tried repeatedly to download Josef, but am not getting him. I'm able to download other things on that site, but not him. It's saying it's a .rar file? Any suggestions? I'm taking a college course that requires us to play the game and would like to take the model to class with me so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jerrykye a rar file is a compressed file like a .zip file. I've used this tool for uncompress it:
7-Zip
It's free and gpl licensed.

Alcides
Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
An excellent build, with a nice series of SBS photos which should be a big help for anyone else...
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice looking model of the robot.
I played that game all the way through a while back over the course of a couple of weeks. It has nice graphics and a nice soundtrack as mentioned. The puzzles were entertaining. As I recall the opening scene was a good training session for what to do for the remainder of the game, making you realize that you need to check a lot of stuff out and try a bunch of different ideas to solve things.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

Ruben tu eres unos to los personas mas interresanres, tu encuentras cosas tan bueno tambien. Me allegro quando leo sus puestas y leo todo que tiene su nombre. Sabe que vas a tener algo qu vale la pena! Muchisimas gracias por todo que tu has contribido!!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Muchas gracias por tus palabras Zathros, eres muy amable

And thanks too to all the other for your kind words. I'm glad that you liked it.

This was my last build of 2010. And I really enjoyed it.

Curious that it is only in the last couple of days it has had some more recognition than when originally posted .

Anyway, I'm really glad that you enjoy this little but wonderful robot.

The game is wonderful as well. SCEtoAUX described it well

Best!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Eternal Member

Ruben
I can see you are improving your paper modeling skills with each
model. I think you did exceptionally well on the petal type parts.
Maybe you will gain enough courage to try the other model we
have discussed....Ron
Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 AM

Thank you so much! I was wondering about many things and you made all clear for me now. I'm going for my first model with this lovely robot. I also became a huge fun of the game! (finished it in two days...) Hope to do the same with the paper work.
Thanks again, sharing your knowledge is so kind!
Google Adsense