PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   Other builds (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/other-builds/)
-   -   Recoil Anchor Escapement (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/other-builds/2397-recoil-anchor-escapement.html)

SCEtoAUX 01-18-2009 09:24 AM

Recoil Anchor Escapement

I built the clock escapement offered at
GlueČ chronicle
Paper Clock Project - Recoil Anchor Escapement.

It cost $3.99 US. The parts are a password protected pdf with 13 pages, A4 size. The password is sent in a text file as part of the zip of the model. The instructions are 8 pages in pdf format that you can download from the site for free and check things out.

I don't have any pictures of the build. Basically the videos on the site and the photos in the instructions are exactly what you see when you build it.

One thing on Step 4 where it says "Glue tooth of A-12 and A-16 in order of a diagonal" what it means is not to glue teeth in order side by side, but to glue one tooth, then go to the opposite side and glue another tooth, alternating side to side, like when you tighten the nuts on a pipe flange or pump casing. That way you ensure proper alignment.

The ratchet assembly for winding the escapement is great. It uses pleated paper "springs".

The model is well engineered and goes together easily. The gear making method is well thought out and a cinch to do.

I bought the Trevithick's Steam Locomotive model too but haven't built it yet, and will probably get the clock model eventually.

Padre 01-18-2009 10:00 AM

Thats neat, good looking gearing.

Art Deco 01-18-2009 09:23 PM

Thanks for that link! The designer is unusually clever and innovative.

tochiro 12-02-2013 07:39 AM

I'm building the recoil anchor escapement.
If it works fine I will get the clock model!

tochiro 12-03-2013 02:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here some photos, this is what I've built so far.

SCEtoAUX 12-03-2013 08:49 AM

One thing I remember from when I built this a few years ago is the amount of weight inserted in the pendulum as indicated in the instructions was OK at 12g . However the amount of weight needed to operate the gearing as indicated in the instructions was a bit off.
Quote:

The coin used for weight is changed with the length of a pendulum.
Nomal (250mm length of pendulum)= about 9g
Three optional parts are used. (1m length of pendulum) = about 18g
I needed 40g to get the machine to work without stopping before the end of the string was reached.

Make sure the frame is level port & starboard and fore & aft, and make sure the frame is square. Those parameters greatly improve the performance.:)

tochiro 12-03-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX (Post 394074)
One thing I remember from when I built this a few years ago is the amount of weight inserted in the pendulum as indicated in the instructions was OK at 12g . However the amount of weight needed to operate the gearing as indicated in the instructions was a bit off.

I needed 40g to get the machine to work without stopping before the end of the string was reached.

Make sure the frame is level port & starboard and fore & aft, and make sure the frame is square. Those parameters greatly improve the performance.:)

Thank you for your suggestions!

tochiro 12-05-2013 03:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just two new photos, the next time I hope to show the escapement finished.

tochiro 12-07-2013 04:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Escapement finished, and works fine!
The gear is not perfect (my problem) but I'm happy with my first paper mechanism.
I've built two simple triangular struts, not present in the original project.
Here some photos and a low-res video.

SCEtoAUX 12-07-2013 05:52 PM

Turned out good. Nice work. :)