PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 09-15-2014, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Lightbulb Simon's Sandbox...

I tend to bounce around quite a bit in my modeling and so my activities don't always fit neatly into the genre-themed build threads especially when I am just fooling around or trying stuff out. So I've created this thread as my sandbox for when I'm just trying stuff out or not building seriously or for pics of builds in other forums...pretty much anything that I don't think warrants a thread in its own right...
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 PM

Tog ii

This is an experiment in upsizing a simple paper model, in this case, from 1/50 to 1/35, to see how much is involved in adding extra formers and internal reinforcing so that it looks like a tank and not an inflatable decoy...I am also still experimenting with my A3 printer to find the best setting to use on the 170gsm matte art paper I can get cheap in town...

Please do not ask how to get this model. It comes from one of those sites that shall not be mentioned but I have done a lot of work through forums and build threads to be sure that it is an original paper model design and that it has been released by its designer. Most of that has been on foreign language pages and my head s till hurts from working through all the Googlish...

It was also meant to be more of a fun relaxing build as a break from the big TSR.2...not quite sure how relaxing it has been but certainly a good learning process as I have added 1mm card under most of the flat surfaces to keep them flat and to submit the weight of the model...so far it seems to pass the three foot test and look like a tank...even the single piece tracks look PK from a few feet away...

Next time I think I would build a full internal structure and just use the supplied kit parts as a skin.

Photobucket seems to have died at the moment so more experiment and update pix to follow...
Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 PM

Thumbs up Tog ii

Had a double post so another TOG pic to fill the space...
Old 09-23-2014, 04:09 AM

Still playing around with the mighty TOG II...just a little progress tonight: added the driver's mantlet and the panels around the side doors where the sponsons would have gone if fitted...

I'm cutting a few corner shere as this is still only meant to be an exploratory build to see what the issues are enlarging a model like this. So far it appears pretty doable but there is clearly a need for substantial interior reinforcement to keep the structure straight and square, and also considerable scope for succumbing to AMS and adding a lot more detail to de-2D-ise the kit - although IMHO it still passes the three foot test...
Old 10-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Starting back on TSR.2 wheels again...
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 AM

This is Krzychu74's Pzl.22 that I am building for the paper model group build over at UAMF It is a free download from Ecardmodels but one that I would have been happy to have paid for...
The main fuselage former...short and stumpy...
The fuselage horizontal ribs...The top one I cut to shape and then cut out the notches for the other formers; I should have cut out the notches first so that there was still surrounding card to support the rest of the part. Because I didn't do this on the first former it was a little stressed but no problems with the second one after I changed the cutting sequence...
The fuselage skeleton takes shape...
It's actually a lot chunkier than I expected....
Old 01-31-2015, 06:56 PM

Not kits in their own right but aftermarket accessories available for paper models...These are all cheap as chips - more so if you are in Europe and so much closer to the supplier - but as always the proof of the pudding will be in the building...

I wanted to take the lasercut sets out of the bags to display but the grip of the parts in their frames in tenuous at best and they will pop loose at the slightest flex...

I did take this one for the Modelik P.210 out of its bag as I am building that for the UAMF German jets of WW2 Group Build that starts today. I will be using Isaac's build as a guide for this...

1/33 Defiant F.1 and Hurricane IID
1/33 Blenheim Mk.1
1/33 North American XP-61E Black Widow or F-15 Reporter

1/200 IJN 25mm triple mount...bought these for my old Nichimo Yamato which is on the slips for a rebuild and tidy up...
I also invested in a new cutting mat...it's A2 as the A3 size I was after was out of stock...
And my youngest daughter bought me this ever so cool studio lamp so that I can have decent light when I am modelling...
Old 01-31-2015, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
That is a very cool studio lamp and you have a very cool daughter as well!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 173.93 MB
Hi I thought I might find you on this site, glad to see you are still plodding on with the TSR2 you are a braver man than me.

Regards Alan
Old 02-03-2015, 12:59 AM

Story of my life...still chipping away...I've learned a lot from the TSR.2 build that will make my next go at it (this is still the practice run) a lot easier - my son-in-law has purchased a computer cutting machine for his workshop and I hope to be able to utilise that to make me a couple of sets of precision cut formers for it to facilitate matters...
Google Adsense