PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 12-03-2016, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
Caskets

A while back I needed a distraction and something to put out for Halloween at work so I came up with some caskets. They build pretty easy and can be any size you choose. Mine ran ~5" in length. You will need:

1. Card stock
2. Some chalks - I used hard pastel chalks, but I suppose any chalk would do
3. Fixative to seal the chalk - I think hair spray will work as well
4. Black ink pen or pencil for the nails - used art pens, but see no reason a black ballpoint would not work
5. Quick tack glue

The usual tools - ruler, small square, knife & or scissors, something to make the creases. A compass or set of dividers is very helpful in laying out the patterns and model.

The process is pretty simple. Make a pattern for the shape. (Pic # 2) Whatever looks good to you. Measure the diagonals ( corner point to opposite corner point ) to make sure the pattern is square. I omitted the standard rectangle from the picture. Lay the pattern on the card stock, draw around the pattern (Pic #3). Add the sides and end. I just laid a ruler down and made them that high. Use the compass or dividers to mark the length of the short side. to Mark where the glue tabs go.

After laying out the model and before the glue up:
Use the chalks to give the wood some color and texture. Seal the chalk with the fixative. Add the board lines and nails.

Cut fold and glue.

A few notes... Mark the glue tabs before cutting. Fold them before taking down the corners to 45 degrees or less for better results. Play with the colors and designs.
Attached Thumbnails
Caskets-caskets-oct-2016.jpg   Caskets-casket-pattern.jpg   Caskets-casket-paper-patttern.jpg   Caskets-casket-1.jpg   Caskets-casket-corner-detail.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
If you hinged the top, they would make nice little Halloween candy dishes for people's desks.

Beard
Old 12-03-2016, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Dave:
Did you do the wood graining on white card stock with pastilles? If you did, wonderful job, I first thought that you printed of sheets of wood texture from the net.
Thanks for sharing,
Miles
Old 12-03-2016, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
Aaron Murphy Made one with Wings.
Attached Thumbnails
Caskets-14793980_10210724003365354_901225488_n.jpg   Caskets-14741874_10210724003085347_1124625617_n.jpg  
Old 12-04-2016, 01:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
Miles - I used Prismacolor - NuPastels for the wood texture.

Just made some marks the direction the grain would run, then took a paper towel to blend it in and make sure the entire surface had some color. Added the knots second.
Google Adsense

Tags
casket, freelance designs, halloween, kids