PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
My boxes are already getting a bit worn from bringing pens to work ha
I built a more complicated display box, but not in great shape now, maybe I'll post a pick anyway, was fun
Old 04-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
In the late '70's I went into a farm store in the bush and they had a Parker pen for sale. It was new but covered in dust and grime.

I bought it for nearly nothing, and then used it up to 2016 when I bought it home, and promptly lost it. It's around though.

Plastic body, stainless steel cap. Nib worn but still good. Came with an ink refiller or cartridge attachment. I looked after it and cleaned it regularly etc.

Old story - a cheap buy sometimes lasts and lasts!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 08:35 AM

There are good deals on old pens out there and many of them with a bit of effort cleaning or resac write surprisingly well...fun if you like to write with one and are ok getting ink on your fingers ha
The old Parker’s often still are usable even if 60 years old
Old 05-01-2018, 09:04 PM

Vacumatics were Parker's replacement in the 1930's for the popular Duofold of the 1920's, and were Parker's second major hit on the market to be followed by the 51 that came about in the 1940's. So every decade Parker innovations and quality kept them on top the market, along with Sheaffer. The vacumatic is a popular pen still today, and when repaired/restored they are nice to use, and quite attractive pattern to them as well. The writing on this display box came off a Parker catalog from 1934, although this later model vac is from 1946, as they were produced along with 51's until the late 1940's. I have seen a few boxes like this one from the 1930's and pen/pencil sets came in a bakelite box rather than a card one.
Attached Thumbnails
pen boxes-img_1994.jpg   pen boxes-img_1993.jpg  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:06 PM

I forgot to mention the construction of this one ha, the main upper box is similar to regular pen boxes I’ve been making, some change in size only. Was drawn in photoshop pretty simple but did use cereal box card to thicken the walls and top and glued with contact cement to avoid warping (I use contact cement more on other things too but don’t want to be recommending for everyone because you can wreck your project in a hurry with it...I use it a lot sometimes)
The base is regular corrugated cardboard covered with card and painted. The pen sits on 2 layers of corrugated cardboard with a central cutout for the pen covered with soft cloth from an old pillowcase the elastic is a thin donated hairband (with permission)
Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I LIKE that box . . . and the pen.

Don
Old 03-26-2019, 07:29 PM

Moore safety

This box is a copy of an early pen box, this pen was patented by a musician named Moore, but manufactured by the American Fountain Pen co, who bought the patent and formed a company to make it. Initial patent 1894, production began in 1899. This innovative pen has no sac, is filled when the pen tip is retracted (pulled into the barrel) with eyedropper, then the tip is pushed back out and no ink leaks out.. A cork seal for the shaft that runs through the back of the pen, and when the nib is pushed forward the collar around the nib is nicely machined and does not leak.
The cap is special in that the threads are forward enough to pull the end of the barrel tight against the inside cap and does not ever leak there if secured. In fact the pen was shipped from the factory full of ink!
My example is a poor one, the cap does not seal as I made it from card, with aluminum foil and ca glue threads, and the card covered with black ca glue and then sanded, ect. It also has a crack on the black hard rubber they made pens of in the early days prior to plastic, as bakelite was too brittle. However it still does not leak when filled with ink and nib in position, amazing little thing was made into the early 20's although the original co had been purchased by the new Moore pen co that went on to make lots of other pens.
This change happened in about 1917, my pen still says American fountain pen co on the nib (probably around early teens) which is a great writer by the way...after over 100 years..
Attached Thumbnails
pen boxes-moore1cap.jpg   pen boxes-moorecap2.jpg   pen boxes-moorecap3.jpg  
Old 03-26-2019, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A real treasure, and a piece of fountain pen history, Glen!

Marvelous restoration.

Don
Old 03-26-2019, 09:15 PM

I've had quite a bit of fun learning about these Don, and am happy to be up and running with photoshop again, and have redone some files, actually have redrawn the previous boxes and several new ones.. recently a new Waterman box for a pen I gold soldered a cracked nib.. Lots of fun stuff.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 185.34 MB
I grew up in Janesville Wisconsin back in the 1950s. Parker was a big employer in that town along with a GM plant, both are now long gone. When in high school I worked for a pharmacy delivering prescriptions. Several times I got to go into the old Parker plant which was still in use. Very cool lobby, they had actual framed original paintings by Norman Rockwell which he had done for Parker ad campaigns in the 1930s or 1940s. Also even delivered to the original George Parker mansion too. It was this old rambling Victorian whereas I recall his elderly wife still lived. It was really like a step back in time!

The nuns in my Catholic grade school all "carried" the Parker 51 fountain pen and matching pencil on their "utility belt" which they wore around their waist. It was a little leather pouch, so cool! Penmanship was right up there with religion...ugh! I believe it was religion, followed by penmanship, grammar, then arithmetic ( modern math happened in 7th grade...to this day I have absolutely NO idea what that was about). Needles to say science was relegated to a minor role of importance, it just made one think about too many annoying questions that conflicted with the whole religious dogma thing they had going. Of course, being left-handed myself I think they thought I was in league with the devil right out of the gate. Never was able to totally master that beautiful Chancery Cursive they so highly prized.

I actually brought an old Parker Duofold at an action back in the 1970s, and tested their lifetime guarantee by returning it to the factory for "free" repairs. I got it back with a letter explaining that they no longer had the required parts to repair such a pen but enclosed a replacement current model ballpoint. It was a piece of crap! A rather ignominious end to a great brand name.
Google Adsense