PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 04-10-2017, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
pen boxes

Recently started for fun making a few boxes for the fountain pens I have fixed up, usually get one inexpensively as able on ebay and disassemble, repair what I can to bring it to working order, is fun and associated with quite a bit of US history, as have only US made pens. Started with Sheaffer but have a few other makes now...as replacement sacs and vacuum system parts are easy to get nowadays...
These are some single pen boxes using Photoshop and random photos to make after had made a simple plan, scissors glue and card, some with improvised cushions inside...
Attached Thumbnails
pen boxes-img_1193.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
nice looking boxes,

I just buy paper pen boxes, i have been asked why paper for the pen boxes, my reply, because it is part of what i do outside of pen turning.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-10-2017, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Those are beautiful boxes, Glen. I have used a fountain pen all my life and have acquired a few, but haven't tried your approach to fountain pen acquisition.

The pen that I have used day in-day out for the past 25 years is a black Pelikan M1000 with an 18C-175 EF nib that Lil gave me as a gift when I graduated from the Army in 1992 after 30 years' service. Since it has jostled around on my desk or in my shirt or jacket pocket with other writing instruments, it is covered with a fine tracery of scratches like old ivory. Writes very smoothly.

Not sure what ever happened to the box it came in.

Look forward to seeing more pen boxes.

Don
Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Hi Don and Rick, Don your pen is a nice one, I don't have that one, but my grandfather gave me a nice pen when I went to college, a set he had saved from the mid 1950's now most of my pens are older than that, with a Waterman from 1916 the oldest...is fun to try to fix them up and polish them
Do you recall Don what pens you have used in the past?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 669.56 MB
Beautiful. Memories of my dad's top drawer. Wonder what happened to his pens.
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Really like the pen boxes Glen. Please post more pics if you have them.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:35 AM

Thanks C9B and Elliott, here is a new box, is from the Parker Duofold of 1921, the "Big Red" a pen that really launched Parker into the big leagues of Waterman and Sheaffer, I don't have one, but is a really cool box, would have been my first if I did have a Duofold, however their demand is a bit above my interest in this one (so far). Interestingly it was a sales rep for Parker that pushed for a red version of the black hardened rubber pen that Parker was already making, in a time of almost entirely black pens, that launched this pen in 1920-21. I think the address on the box is for sending your pen back to the manufacturer for repair, as the major companies all offered extended warranties. Sheaffer "lifetime" was initially the "white dot" of the Sheaffer company for example.
Attached Thumbnails
pen boxes-img_1224.jpg   pen boxes-img_1225.jpg  
Old 04-14-2017, 11:02 AM

Glen - Sorry for the delay in responding to your question about pens I have owned.

Although I frequently wrote with a fountain pen when I was n high school in the 1950s, I have no recollection of the brands - Shaeffers, probably. When I arrived in Korea in 1962, I bought a red Parker pen with a recessed nib and gold inlaid device that looked like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...2e93483b2b.jpg It may have been a "51." It was my standard pen for decades. I passed it on to one of our sons when Lil bought me the Pelican.

In recent decades I have bought a couple of less expensive Pelicans, a couple fo Parker Sonnets (which had a very smooth write out, but didn't seem as durable as the Pelikans), and a couple bought from Fahrney's: a Waterman, an Omas, and a neat little snub-nosed Stipula Passport, which wrote beautifully and that I loved, but it eventually started leaking.

I look forward to seeing more pen boxes and hearing from your interlocutors on the subject of fountain pens and pen boxes.

Don
Old 04-14-2017, 12:53 PM

Hi Don yes nice pens there, an instructional video from Grandmia pens in England:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzMYbGondlo&t=74s
about the Parker 61 here, nice fellow. The 61 is definitely
an interesting pen to me also, but for my purposes the 51 is more
a pen I can work on, although any pen one disassembles is possible
to be broken. (I have unfortunately had some setbacks on various pens)
...also noted on quick search a vintage Pelikan box, although not the type for your pen, I thought looked interesting. Your large pen may not fit my template, but could be pretty easily be photoshopped onto this box ...although no guarantees about my getting anything done these days....
Attached Thumbnails
pen boxes-pelikan_101box.jpg  

Last edited by birder; 04-14-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:14 PM

Nice pen box.

Here are images of the creature. I may have misidentified it. Based on the size, it may be an 800, not a 1000.

Thanks for the video on the Parker 61. Don III will be arriving in a couple of hours, if he still has the pen, I will show him the video. One problem with that pen was that the gold inlay kept dropping off.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
pen boxes-pelikan01.jpg   pen boxes-pelikan02.jpg  
Google Adsense