PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Articulated Hand

Here is a model of an articulated hand. Someone had seen the right hand version that I had built and asked for a left hand version. All that needed to be done was to rotate the fingers 180º.
Articulated Hand-hand-left1.jpg

This is the third one I have built. The first one was built as it was presented on the instruction graphic. It was built around five years ago. The second one had a few deviations from the instructions and was built a couple of years later using some of the memories of the first one to avoid that cwrap, and the third one had a few more deviations. This model is a good example of how it looks great in the development window, but the actual construction took some extra work.

I do not remember where the model came from. I have both a pdo and a pdf version. It looks like the model was developed in Pepakura, hence the remark above about the development and construction. Looks great in the Pepakura 3D window. There was no account taken for paper thickness or inherent instability in some areas.

The instructiions:
Articulated Hand-hand-instr.jpg
That is all you get. You have to work out how to get the various pieces to move. It works as illustrated, but there are some others things you can do to make it easier.

A missing element of the print out is the lack of fold lines. The following show in red where the fold lines for the base should be.

Articulated Hand-1a-base-folds1.jpg

Articulated Hand-1a-base-folds2.jpg

Constructing the base.

Here are the base parts cut out
Articulated Hand-1a-base-4prts.jpg

The outer parts of the base together and showing the inner part being placed
Articulated Hand-1b-base.jpg

The completed base
Articulated Hand-1c-base.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 AM

Here is what could be considered the wrist part.
The folds needed:
Articulated Hand-2a-wrist-folds.jpg

Wrist part cut out:
Articulated Hand-2a-wrist.jpg

Completed wrist:
Articulated Hand-2b-wrist.jpg

Now comes a deviation from the instructions graphic in making the pivoting assembly.
These are the parts needed:
Articulated Hand-2c-wrist-pivot1.jpg
I did not cut the disks out as presented on the print out. Instead a smaller 16mm hole was cut on the parts, centered on the where the original hole would be. Some other disks of 22 mm diameter were also cut. The small disk is just for reference.

This shows the difference from the original and what was cut:
Articulated Hand-2c-wrist-pivot2.jpg

This is the 22 mm disk with a 16 mm circle drawn on it as a cutting guide:
Articulated Hand-2c-wrist-pivot3.jpg
The lines from the perimeter to the 16 mm circle are the cut lines. Do this to only two of the large disks.

This shows the cuts and the tabs folded up:
Articulated Hand-2c-wrist-pivot4.jpg
Going a little bit past the inner circle helps later when you test the rotation.

This shows the two parts of the pivot held together with the tabs of the disk passing through the holes:
Articulated Hand-2c-wrist-pivot5.jpg
The pivot parts are sandwiched between the sections of the disk. That allows the two parts of the pivot to rotate while being captured by the disk. Do not glue the two pivot parts to each other.

An uncut disk is glued to the tabs, securing the pivot parts:
Articulated Hand-2c-wrist-pivot6.jpg
Make sure they still rotate freely.

Here is the pivot glued to the wrist:
Articulated Hand-2d-wrist-cmplt1.jpg
Apply glue to the perimeter of the pivot part the matches the wrist profile and glue it to the wrist. Do not glue the disk to the wrist or to the pivot part. One goes on each side of the wrist.

Here is the wrist assembly glued in place on the base:
Articulated Hand-2d-wrist-base.jpg
Glue the pivot part that matches the profile of the inside of the base to the base. Make sure no glue gets on the disk. Check that the wrist pivots.

Last edited by SCEtoAUX; 03-08-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 AM

Here are the folds for the palm:
Articulated Hand-4a-palm-folds.jpg
Articulated Hand-4b-palm-c-folds.jpg
The narrow folds between the small triangular tabs are what form bevels. The rectangular area with the tabs sticking into it is cut out, leaving the tabs.

The outer part of the palm:
Articulated Hand-4c-palm1.jpg

Placing of the inner part:
Articulated Hand-4c-palm2.jpg

Palm complete:
Articulated Hand-4c-palm3.jpg
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM

Here are the pieces to make the palm pivot:
Articulated Hand-palm-pivot1.jpg

Rectangle with large hole glued to top of wrist:
Articulated Hand-palm-pivot3.jpg
This seems to be more for spacing. Later a slight problem that might crop up will be revealed.

Large disk placed with no glue:
Articulated Hand-palm-pivot2.jpg
Place it inside the large hole, no glue.

Rectangle with small hole glued to other rectangle:
Articulated Hand-palm-pivot5.jpg
Glue around the perimeter making sure no glue gets on the large disk. The large disk needs to rotate freely.

Small disk glued to center of large disk:
Articulated Hand-palm-pivot4.jpg
Make sure both disks rotate freely.

Glue small disk to bottom of palm:
Articulated Hand-palm-attached.jpg
Make sure the palm rotates freely.

This was sorta made like the instruction graphic. I noticed that any slight concavity of either the bottom of the palm and/or the top of the wrist would make it difficult to get a good glue join so some extra small disks would be helpful in building up the sub-assembly. Test and add as needed. Experiment with other attachment ideas to get one that works for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Lower thumb folds:
Articulated Hand-6a-thumb-folds.jpg

Lower thumb:
Articulated Hand-6b-thumb.jpg

Lower thumb attached to palm:
Articulated Hand-palm-thumb.jpg

Looks like no photos were taken on making the lower thumb pivot . You can use the procedure that was used in making the wrist pivot. Be careful in the glueing. You want to make sure not to get glue on areas that would prevent the lower thumb from pivoting. The lower thumb will fit. May not look like it will, but it does.
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Now for the fingers.

I modified the build a bit. It can be done as shown in the instruction graphic. I made a help aid using the section of the instruction graphic to show how I interpreted it to make the fingers as designed.
Articulated Hand-9-finger-joint-instructions.jpg
Later another way to make the fingers will be shown.

The folds for the knuckles:
Articulated Hand-9-finger-joint-knuckle-folds.jpg
Follow the natural lines for the "T" shaped base part. The rectangular part needs a fold 17 mm from each side. You can not use the base as a guide in placing the folds for the rectangular part. It seems to be shifted a little to one side.

You print the page with the three finger sections 4 times.
The folds for the finger sections:
Articulated Hand-8-finger-joint-folds-.jpg
The small triangular tabs are glued to the beveled areas of the finger sections. The narrow section between the two close poximity red lines form the bevels. The circles on the part are important for placement of the pivoting assembly. In order to not have the heavy black lines show I transfered the circles to the back side of the prinout and valley folded on all of the black lines and the red fold lines where indicated. You don't have to do that, but the heavy black lines will show on the finished model.

Here is the finger joint base:
Articulated Hand-8a-finger-joint-base.jpg
The thumb and four other fingers each have one base. The thumb has two finger sections, the other four fingers each have three finger sections.

Here are the pieces used to make the finger joint pivots:
Articulated Hand-9a-finger-joint-knuckle-parts.jpg
The numbers correspond with the numbers on the instruction graphic. There is an extra piece labeled 5b which will be explained later. Also, rectangle 2 is solid. You will use disk 3 which is cut out of rectangle 2, but rectangle 2 with the hole is not used. Cut other rectangles with the same dimensions as rectangle 2. Disk 5 and rectangle 4 are cut and used as printed.

After constructing the finger section, glue disk 5 to the circle area:
Articulated Hand-9b-finger-disk-5a.jpg
The pieces have been colored to make them easier to see. They are all actually white.

I used a 1/4" hole punch to make disk 5b. Glue disk 5b centered on disk 5:
Articulated Hand-9c-finger-disk-5b.jpg

Place rectangle 4 over disk 5, do not glue:
Articulated Hand-9d-finger-4.jpg

Glue the center of disk 3 to disk 5b, sandwiching rectangle 4 between them:
Articulated Hand-9e-finger-disk-3.jpg
Make sure the disks and the rectangle are not glued to each other. Wait for at least a count of 20 before moving the pieces around. Make sure rectangle 4 rotates freely.

Glue rectangle 2 to rectangle 4 by applying glue along the short sides:
Articulated Hand-9f-finger-2.jpg
Disk 3 is sandwiched between rectangle 2 and rectangle 4. Make sure not to glue the disks to the rectangles. Make sure the rectangles rotate freely.

Follow all of the steps for the other side of the finger section.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM

This is the finger section glued to a base unit:
Articulated Hand-8a-finger-joint.jpg
The outer rectangle on each side of the finger section is aligned with the outer and upper edge of the base and the knuckle that is formed by folding the rectangle into thirds.
Here are some more shots of the base and finger section:
Articulated Hand-8b-finger-joint.jpg
Articulated Hand-8d-finger-joint-base.jpg

This shows the gap at the back of the finger section and knuckle:
Articulated Hand-8e-finger-joint-base2.jpg
The gap provides clearance when the finger section is rotated forward, like bending your finger at the knuckle.

Here are the two lower finger sections of a finger glued together:
Articulated Hand-8m-finger-front.jpg
Remember that the lower part of the upper knuckle is glued to the upper part of the finger section below it. Do not glue the two finger sections together.
In order to get the proper clearance between the two finger sections bend the upper finger section at 90º and rest it on top of the lower finger section:
Articulated Hand-8n-finger-side.jpg
Then glue the knuckle to the top side of the lower finger section.
Repeat with all of the finger sections and knuckles. There are two sections for the thumb and three sections for each of the other four fingers making a total of 14 sections to do.
Glue the completed fingers and thumbs to the appropriate area on the palm assembly.

Here is the completed hand:
Articulated Hand-hand-left1.jpg
Articulated Hand-hand-left-peace.jpg

Side view from the thumb:
Articulated Hand-hand-left3-thumb.jpg

Side view from the pinky:
Articulated Hand-hand-left4-pinky.jpg

I am thinking about making a stop motion animation of the hand articulating. Don't know when it will get done, though.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Here is a 17 second video of the hand moving.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Looks like the model is no longer available on line. Not even the Wayback Machine has is archived.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Pretty cool! I like the video.