PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 11-08-2018, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 328.38 MB
Another Ancient Greek Vase, an Aryballos

This second Greek vase is an aryballos. They are quite small, about 6 cm high. They have a very narrow opening which means the contents, olive oil, can only be brought out by shaking the aryballos. A bit like the Old Spice after shave bottles (if you're old enough to remember them). A piece of string was wound around the small neck and the rest of the string was long enough to tie the aryballos to a belt. The olive oil usually had a scent added to it. They were worn by youths and supposed to be used after getting a bit sweaty during their athletics. In reality, they were worn as a fashion accessory to suggest being a bit sporty and youthful. A bit like those of us oldies who wear trainers but can't be bothered to even run catch the bus.

My model is a bit bigger than a real aryballos, by about 15% I'd guess. That was to make it easier for me to cobble together a first attempt. Although I drew plans, it was still a learning/guessing process as I built it. I added some corrugated card at the base and the middle. I did try that with the top but gave up (hence a wonky top - but many of the real ones are wonky too). I'll try again on a second attempt at some point.

As per the first model, I used felt tip pens to add a design when the model was completed. The stage of having a ready printed design on the parts is a long way off as yet. I'm just not that software literate to leap to that stage but I will get there eventually.

In the new year I hope to have PDFs ready of the alabastron and this aryballos. They probably will be blank designs. Would anyone be interested in having a go making them?
Attached Thumbnails
Another Ancient Greek Vase, an Aryballos-aryballos-.jpg   Another Ancient Greek Vase, an Aryballos-aryballos-b.jpg   Another Ancient Greek Vase, an Aryballos-aryballos-c.jpg   Another Ancient Greek Vase, an Aryballos-aryballos-d.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-08-2018, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very interesting. I don't remember seeing a container like that before

I would be more interested in the alabastron than this one. But maybe
Old 11-08-2018, 11:23 AM

For those that have not seen my previous thread, the alabastron, it is here Ancient Greek alabastron vase
Old 11-08-2018, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 668.33 MB
I very much appreciate your renditions of these ancient vases. So much of what we know of the culture (music, education, art) comes from the art on the vases.
Jon
Old 03-05-2019, 03:25 AM

Just to let people know that I haven't given up on this project of Greek vases. The reason for my silence has been a bit of a set back regards my health. The next vase will be an amphora.
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I wish you all the best with the health issues.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Have you thought about creating a stencil for the designs on the sides? It might require some intricate cutting but would still be easier than working out how to apply the design to a compound curve on a screen. Or else, an outline stencil which you can trace around and then fill in details freehand.

Tags
ancient greek vase, aryballos