PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
As I stated before I am not educated in puppetry or animation. I am using no reference tutorial or guide. I am simply trying to figure this all out on my own. I have been a fan of animation since I went to the Disneyland gift shop at age 10 and purchased a small flip-book animation. Since then I was hooked. I drew a few flip-book animations myself prior to 20 years of age. Now I do simple goofy animations on my computer. Not industry standard but they make me and others laugh.

So far with this toy, my biggest challenge has been, hiding the animation mechanics from view. So far I have only attempted graphic stealth. I now see that I must explore masks (layers).

The next installment is finished; Filby plays Harmonica. The prototype is printed and I will start building as soon as I finish typing.

No pics this time, go find a jester.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:24 AM

"Toot toot tweet TWANG!

Filby plays harmonica build showed me success, here's a pic. If you stay for the show you might get to see him play..."get your tickets early for a good seat".

Next installment should be eye movement using one of those skully things I drew.
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-filby-doonin-harmonica-pic.jpg  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:41 AM

I had intended to post a video by now showing filbys sound check but I hit a couple of snags and now have some sprucing up to do. Hopefully will get that up and running soon...you aren't in any hurry now are ya?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:45 PM

The beta harmonica filby toy is done for now. It needs some tweaking and twitching and I will get into that later.
The mechanics for this toy are new and different from the regular puppet and will take some refining and getting used to.

Mr Satriani is playing "Champagne" in the background.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 PM

Build picture. On to draw some eyeballs.
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-filby-doonin-harmonica-pic2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:51 PM

Agony and Ecstasy

Theater masks, you may know them as "comedy and tragedy".
Mine are "Agony and Ecstasy" and this one is agony. He perfectly describes this project, drawing 2 skulls, one frowning and one smiling, and me knowing very little about anatomy! I know, it has been done before, I wanted to do it myself, so I did.
You'll notice he's in a pine box. A matchbox Coffin lined with velvet monks robe fabric.
Well, he needs to see in order to judge you (lol) so I'm going to give him sight.
Not sure if the eyes will only move left and right or if I am adding up and down as well...we will see.
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-dsc00233.jpg   Matchbox puppets-dsc00234.jpg   Matchbox puppets-dsc00236.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM

The eyes are done. They look fantastic. I don't need to show a picture, I know what it looks like. Next I move on to 3d the face. I will not be using 3d software I will be doing it with a paint program.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Awesome designs. rather reminiscent of Terry Gilliam's technique often seen on Monty Python.
But a great way to put your own touches to it.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM

I really need to watch more of monty python I will research Gilliam and see what I can find. Thank you John.

Here is the harmonica filby video I tried to link earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLiKrsVwp8

Last edited by rickstef; 01-10-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM

We have sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-sight.jpg  

Tags
animation, puppets, ventriloquism