PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking Matchbox puppets

These are exactly as the name implies. They are match box sized ventriloquist puppets made of paper! (card stock).
The idea is brand new for me, started working on it a month ago. I am not educated in animation or puppetry or graphic design. I am self taught.

This toy is my first release. Many others are complete or near completion (approximately 2 dozen so far, check my website for more pics) but much work still must be done. I must construct several more puppets and a few separate theaters and props of course.

This project has been incredibly fun for me and I am enthusiastic about continuing. I hope you like it, but will not be bothered if you don't, after all, a grown man playing with paper dolls is kind of creepy...;p

I will give you this toy now so you can dissect and analyze lol but they are still beta.

I have no instructions yet...maybe can dig up a pic or two to help if there is any interest shown. Good luck! I am here to help if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-2019toy.jpg  
Old 01-04-2019, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Love it. Keep going.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:01 PM

I will Philip. I received a hearty giggle from every recipient so far.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 PM

Here are a couple videos showing the first two drafts of this toy.
video 1 - video 2
Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Did I forget to mention that I am using other peoples images for my beta testing? I probably did. I am real good at forgetting. I am certainly NOT trying to pass myself off as an artist, no sir! I can draw (crooked stick figures) I just wanted to see the final result...in someone elses glory, just for a minute...to see if my idea will fly. The smiles and laughter tell me so.

Any future releases will (unfortunately) be done with my pretty terrible drawing...but...I still don't care, I'm having fun!

Heres another unauthorized filch...(hope I don't get throwed out).
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-bookman.jpg  
Old 01-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
That's a great idea! I love it!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:36 PM

Cool "if you build it, they will come"

Thank you!
Here is an image of the first puppet character drawn by me. Did I mention I can draw? (I didn't mean to)...anyway, he was the only one who showed up for the first casting call so he got the part.
More about the character will be revealed...when the little fella actually shows up for his costume fitting (performers can be quite fickle).
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-filby-doonin.jpg  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Puppet function 1 - he speaks

So I have finished stage 1 of the filby toy. (will there be other functions Filby?) yes there will (what will they be) hush and watch.

First pic is the filby first toy. Second pic is all 3 parts cut out (note the animation "paddle" has been previously double thickened, glued and clamped before cutting out, and the filby cell has had his mouth hole slit cut and slightly widened with an x-acto prybar). Third pic shows the "stop" I installed on the backside of the animation.
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-filby-doonin-first-toy.jpg   Matchbox puppets-filbydoonin-build-01.jpg   Matchbox puppets-filbydoonin-build-02.jpg  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:27 PM

pic 4 shows placement of the animation cell and paddle assembly. Pic 5 it is all glued in place. Pic 6 glue the edge carefully avoiding the animation paddle.
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-filbydoonin-build-03.jpg   Matchbox puppets-filbydoonin-build-04.jpg   Matchbox puppets-filbydoonin-build-05.jpg  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:31 PM

final 2 pics show the animation sequence, mouth open, mouth closed...

Next installment will show either eye movement or accessories...???
No video until all his accessories are complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Matchbox puppets-filbydoonin-build-06.jpg   Matchbox puppets-filbydoonin-build-07.jpg  

Tags
animation, puppets, ventriloquism