PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, westley. That’s a laudable job you did on your Adams Leaning Wheel Road Grader. A very good result of an uncommon subject. I hope the recipient of the model was as appreciative of your efforts as your fellow Paper Modelers.

When I was a kid, I would sometimes see motorized road graders parked alongside the local dirt roads. Often, when the driver knocked off work for the day, he would leave the front wheels canted over to the side. I would wonder why the machine was designed this way…why do the front wheels tilt like that?

For those who have shared my curiosity, here are a few words from some contemporary Adams sales material:

“In considering the working principle of a grader, it is necessary to realize first that a grader’s work is to move earth sideways and usually uphill. Thus, the load is a side-load.

“The man pushing the wheelbarrow leans toward and balances his weight against the load, because that is the natural way to move it with the least effort.

“That is the principle on which Adams Graders operate. They have Adjustable Leaning Wheels [that] the operator can lean in either direction to lean the weight of the grader toward, and balance the weight against, the side load of earth on the blade—the heavier the load, the more the operator leans the wheels and weight of the machine.”

Remember that a well-maintained dirt road is not flat, but it has a crown running down its center to help shed water into the ditches. The leaning wheels of the grader help to keep the blade in line as the dirt from the sides of the road is pulled up toward the center to make the crown. It was years before I learn about all this. These days, it’s rare to see a road grader parked on the side of a road, as most of the roads are now paved. Another point to remind me just how old I’m getting.

The above material was taken from,
https://www.constructionequipment.co...g-wheel-grader
a short article describing this interesting machine.

Again, well done, westley.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.12 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Outstanding model of a historical and unusual (among paper models) apparatus.

Always glad to see models of this type, especially when they reflect so much research and artisanship.

Don

Much obllidged
Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Dog View Post
Hi All,

And hi, westley. That’s a laudable job you did on your Adams Leaning Wheel Road Grader. A very good result of an uncommon subject. I hope the recipient of the model was as appreciative of your efforts as your fellow Paper Modelers.

When I was a kid, I would sometimes see motorized road graders parked alongside the local dirt roads. Often, when the driver knocked off work for the day, he would leave the front wheels canted over to the side. I would wonder why the machine was designed this way…why do the front wheels tilt like that?

For those who have shared my curiosity, here are a few words from some contemporary Adams sales material:

“In considering the working principle of a grader, it is necessary to realize first that a grader’s work is to move earth sideways and usually uphill. Thus, the load is a side-load.

“The man pushing the wheelbarrow leans toward and balances his weight against the load, because that is the natural way to move it with the least effort.

“That is the principle on which Adams Graders operate. They have Adjustable Leaning Wheels [that] the operator can lean in either direction to lean the weight of the grader toward, and balance the weight against, the side load of earth on the blade—the heavier the load, the more the operator leans the wheels and weight of the machine.”

Remember that a well-maintained dirt road is not flat, but it has a crown running down its center to help shed water into the ditches. The leaning wheels of the grader help to keep the blade in line as the dirt from the sides of the road is pulled up toward the center to make the crown. It was years before I learn about all this. These days, it’s rare to see a road grader parked on the side of a road, as most of the roads are now paved. Another point to remind me just how old I’m getting.

The above material was taken from,
https://www.constructionequipment.co...g-wheel-grader
a short article describing this interesting machine.

Again, well done, westley.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Thank you. Very interestin read