PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit

Hi all,

Since I last posted in the Freshly Unpacked forum about this kit, I have been studying the pages, and have decided to start building the kit.

The instructions call for all the long square struts to be assembled, as they are pretty much the same thing, and you can stack them like lumber waiting to be used.

A word of caution though, at first I thought I was going loopy, but some parts are misnumbered, in the instructions parts 46-48 are shown to the be same parts, in fact they are not, parts 46 and 47 are parts of the frame upon one would lay in order to control the machine.
Parts 49 and 50 are identical to part 48, and are located on the same sheet as part 9, the main strut for the mechanism.

As for the parts being pressed out of the sheet, the cuts are very well done, with small connecting dots along the perimeter of the part. some trimming of the parts is needed, as those dots are noticeable and could impact future part placement, so they will get trimmed away.

The pre-scored fold lines fold over easily, so far no extra burnishing is required, but I have noticed that I will need to be precise with gluing the parts together, as the part could get out of square quickly, I might need to scuff the glue surfaces with an emery board or something similar, the surface has a glossy finish to it.

The first 10 parts are punched out, waiting to be trimmed, scuffed, folded and glued.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo

Last edited by rickstef; 06-14-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

The first 4 pages of instructions have been completed, and as a result of those 4 pages, I have a pile of "lumber"(picture 2) and two wings(pictures 6 & 7).

As I mentioned in the first post, trimming and scuffing is needed, with the struts and the main wing hinges, I trimmed the inside glue tabs about an 1/8 of an inch to make sure the resulting box would be square.
Scuffing the glue surfaces, and testing various glues I have on my desk, was needed, I used nail files, I couldn't find my bag of emery boards.

Next up is the main movement pieces, 9 through 18.
And the main frame for the movement, 19 and 20.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190611_183854.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190612_215039.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190612_221421.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190613_153032.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190613_192341.jpg  

Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190613_211810.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190613_211820.jpg  
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-14-2019, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Parts are coming together nicely, but I don't think I would have wanted to be his test pilot.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
So that's how this whole "Batman" thing started...

What is this kit?It will be interesting to see it together.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:36 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
So that's how this whole "Batman" thing started...

What is this kit?It will be interesting to see it together.
I updated the first post with a link to the thread where I initially mention how and where I got the kit
Google Adsense
Old 06-15-2019, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
These action models are really fun to make. At Christmas last year, I made the running ram from the Cannon website. BUT I did a kit bash with a Shaun the sheep from the Brit TV series Wallace & Grommet. It became a running Shaun instead.
A Christmas gift to a good friend that collects sheep. That "runs" as you rotate the crank.
Looking forward to see the wings "flap".

Jeff
Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

A lot of prep work preceded the closing up the main frame construction, and the main drive strut.

The first two pictures show the main drive strut with the rotation cam in place.
Scuffing was the name of the game with these parts, both sides that got glue on it, got a quick scuff with a nail file, and I wiped down each part from the dust that I created.

The 3rd and 4th pictures show the main frame structure, and the reinforcement corners. Some thought was put into how I needed to close up the frame, working out a glue sequence as to get the parts to close properly.

The 5th picture shows the main drive strut installed in the main frame.

The 6th and 7th pictures show the closed main frame structure, and a close up showing the cam and strut.

More to come of course
Attached Thumbnails
Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190614_221433a.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190614_221443a.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190614_232331.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190616_133551.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190616_165059a.jpg  

Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190616_235806a.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190616_235814a.jpg  
Old 06-17-2019, 06:04 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Anything connected to Leonardo Da Vinci is fascinating.
Nice Work Rick. You will have an interesting conversation piece when its finished.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks realy good. The textures in the photos are nice. Leo came up with some interesting stuff.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:20 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

I was wanting to write an witty intro, similar in vein to Father Mulcahy being drunk and trying to get through a Sunday morning sermon on temperance.

But I am not that witty, or smart to think of something similar like that, but I do know how to write about the work I have done until now on the Flying Machine, which is quite a lot.

Picture 1 shows the two cogs, the big one is made of up 6 layers of stock, and once dry, makes for a very hefty part.
The small cog is made up of 3 parts, the two sides and the thread(for lack of a better name).

In pictures 2 and 3, the small cog has been placed on the hand crank, and axle going through a holding block(yet another lack of a better name item), the main axle for the cog, and the one for the big cog are actually made up of 2 parts, a smaller axle glued inside a larger axle with the cog and crank handle glued to it.

Noticeable in the remaining pictures, there 2 spacers that sit on either side of the large cog. Those parts cover the axle that holds the large cog, and moves the main movement strut.

The base connects the main frame and the holding block, and meshes the cogs. I will probably add a more solid base, as I am noticing the base is a bit warped, spreading the cogs a bit.

I have started on the machine's chassis, only 7 more pages of instructions left to go

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190619_160735.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190619_210837.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190619_210845.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190620_114559.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190620_150621.jpg  

Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190620_150638a.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190620_150651.jpg   Leonardo da Vinci's Flying Machine Kit-20190620_150704a.jpg  
Google Adsense