PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 12-23-2019, 03:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.

I have been in the modelling doldrums for a while - various real-life pressures and problem, and though I have some slack time, just could not get back into modelling.

However, a couple of days ago, I saw Dave Winfield's 2019 Xmas Model - a jet-powered Santa sledge, complete with a blackboard, or should that read a storyboard?!!!!

The model appealed to my sense of humour and stuck in the back of my mind, and eventually fired me up!

I try to make a Xmas theme model every year - and this year this one was perfect for me!

Details of the model can be found here

Dave's 2019 Holiday Model

A link is also provided in the thread to download it should you also want to make one!

And without much more ado off we go to tackle the model!
Old 12-23-2019, 03:45 PM
Eternal Member

Part 1. Starting The Build

The model comes on two sheets, which also have the instructions for assembly on them as well.

There are a total of 22 parts, and all in all, it should be a fairly fast build.

Picture 1 shows two sheets that make up the model. These I sprayed with matt varnish before starting.

As there are not a lot of parts, I scored and cut out all the parts in one go.

In the case of the engine parts, I also numbered them on the reverse with the parts number as I cut out each part - to avoid any possible confusion later on.

Picture 2 shows the parts all cut out.
Attached Thumbnails
Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-si1.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-si2.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 12-23-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:01 PM
Eternal Member

Part 2. Building the Sledge

I decided to start with the sledge.

Picture 1 shows the four parts that make up the sledge.

These were scored and cut out.

To improve the appearance I also decided to cut out the spaces between the runners.

Picture 2 shows the pieces and runners cut out. Parts "A" and "B" have also been "pre-folded", and part "A" has also had the front and back end curved to match the side profiles of the sledge.

The side profiles are shown on the insides of the sledge sides.

Picture 3
- The two parts of the body ("A" and "B") were then glued together. Here the tops and bottom have been glued.

Picture 4 - Lastly the seating area was glued, the alignment being checked against one of the profiles on the side pieces when this was done.

These parts are now put aside, as the engine now has to be made and installed before the sides of the sledge are glued on.

Next up - building the jet engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-si3.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-si4.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-si5.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-si6.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 12-23-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member

Part 3. Building the Jet Engine.

The jet engine is made up of 12 parts - the bulk of the model!

Picture 1 shows the 12 parts cut out.

Pictures 2 and 3 - I started by joining each of the individual "rings" that make up the engine, and these pictures show the parts after the rings had been joined and the parts shaped.

Note that Part 6/7 (the "Intake Lip") should be scored around the centre ring and then "valley folded".

I then proceeded with assembly, glueing the parts as follows:
A) Parts 6/7 and 8 were glued together, and Part 9 (the "fan blades") then attached from the inside.
B) Part 1 and 2 were then glued together.
C) While the above were drying, Part 3 was placed flat on the work surface and Part 5 was glued to it, followed by Part 4.

Picture 4 - This shows Assembly A, and Assemblies B and C (which have been joined together).

The engine stand legs on either side, and the two posters, were then added.

Pictures 5, 6 and 7 show the finished engine.

Next up will be the assembly of the sledge and engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sj1.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sj2.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sj3.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sj4.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sj5.jpg  

Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sj6.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sj7.jpg  
Old 12-23-2019, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
As I haven't finished any model builds in over two weeks, I am glad to see this one coming along
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks VK.

I should be done tomorrow with this one.

I haven't finished any model builds in months! But should now be in a roll over the Xmas break!
Old 12-23-2019, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
wow, not only a clean build, but a first class walkthrough of the build!!

so glad, to see you heeded my advice.
The Jet must be placed into the interior before gluing on the sides.

I was unable to fit the jet engine into the Sleigh after the interior was glued to the sides.
Its just too tight.
I can imagine Santa's frustration!
Old 12-24-2019, 01:05 AM
Eternal Member

Thank you, Dave.

A nice little model, which as you can see I am enjoying!
Old 12-24-2019, 01:40 AM
Eternal Member

Part 4. Sledge and Engine Assembly.

The three sledge parts now need to be joined to the engine.

In the instructions, Dave mentions that the engine should be mounted to the sledge base BEFORE the sledge sides are added - if the sides are added before the engine is mounted, you will not be able to get the engine in, due to the various angles involved! I also confirmed this by "dry fitting".

There is also another advantage to joining the pieces this way, and that is glueing the engine to the floor first creates further rigidity, and also fixes the angles at the back end of the sledge - this makes it easier to align the floor to the sides when the latter are added.

Picture 1 shows the mounting rails of the engine glued to the floor. The rails were glued (after dry-fitting the alignment of the sledge back) exactly on the place marked for them on the floor (the two drawings of "U" channel). You can see in this picture the back of the sledge has NOT yet been attached to the engine.

Pictures 2 and 3 then show the rear of the engine glued to the back of the sledge, as well as the rail positions on the floor.

Pictures 4, 5 and 6 - The sides are finally added and the sledge/engine combination is complete!

Note that I added the sides one at a time, carefully checking the alignment drawn on the inside of the sledge sides, each time a side was added.

Something I also did not mention earlier, was that I also coloured all the edges of the cut pieces with watercolour pencils (my favourite for this purpose) as I went along. You can see the end result along the edges of the sides of the sledge (see the last picture).

I also used a 2H lead pencil (hard pencils smudge less) along some of the edges of the engine, though some edges I also left white as this complemented the appearance.

The last thing left now is the Blackboard - an essential accessory!
Attached Thumbnails
Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sk1.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sk2.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sk3.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sk4.jpg   Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sk5.jpg  

Santa's "Great Idea": Dave's 2019 Christmas Model.-sk6.jpg  
Old 12-24-2019, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Great build - Merry Christmas.