PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Canon Hydro-power plant

Hello everyone;
I recently completed building of the Canon Hydro-electric power plant model for a school presentation my youngest son is giving on dams and water power.
Some parts were easy as it is a good sized model other parts were a bugger, mainly the turbine parts. It became an awkward assembly once I started doing final assembly. Big floppy parts. But it turned out fairly well in the end.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Canon Hydro-power plant-hpim3672.jpg   Canon Hydro-power plant-hpim3673.jpg   Canon Hydro-power plant-hpim3674.jpg   Canon Hydro-power plant-hpim3675.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
That's a nice one Jeff. I have its identical twin in front of me on my desk! I used it in one of my classes to teach kids about renewable energy sources. It comes in very handy when you can make all of the little "water balls" and run them through the turbine. The kids loved it.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks awesome, Jeff! Well done!

Wyvern
Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Thanks Man!
It was a fun build even if a little frustrating at times. That is way cool you have one built up too. The little water balls were the only parts I did not make up, oh and the little handle for the gate, I cheated and used a red push pin glued in. My son made up water balls on his own for it using blue paper and works pretty well. I love making up model for the kids.
Jeff
Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
very nice, it is amazing how nice them canon models look in school projects, my friends daughter has made seven this year the pryramid, the statue of liberty and five others like that. They look very good when done with a good report nicely printed and presented.
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Nice job, Jeff. Really have to print and build one myself sometime.

The subject reminds me of something I came across online a while back. Google "Niagara Confluence" for some interesting results on an old power station on the Canadian side. Here's the first site I saw; sleepycity | photography urban exploration | DIY Supervillain Hideout

Another good one; Confluence: The Toronto Power Company Tailrace Tunnels, Niagara Falls | Pridian.net

There are also exploratory tours online of a couple of other decomissioned stations at Niagara. Really interesting reading and pictures.

Scott K.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Hi Scott;
Thanks for the kind words, It was a fun build but I will suggest that if you do build one make sure to add interal braces on both long sides and the dam side they suck in once the glue dries, oh and double up the faces for the turbine. Thanks for the links, very interesting.. PS how is Apache coming along? I will certainly buy it when ready.
Jeff
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Assalam O alikum .. Can you plesae send me the detail of this project.. all design process and things which you used in it
Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Hello,
Well I am not the designer of the kit, I downloaded it from the Canon website, under science.
I used plain regular cardstock of 110lbs. bought from Wal-mart and I used a clear spray paint for protection. I did not add to the kit at all.
I should have added re-enforcments to the inside to help hold it's shape so that is would not have dished in as it did in spots. I also used a few colored pencils as needed for edging and other areas.
Jeff
Old 08-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I've built a number of the Canon kits, and, though well-designed...and free...they often benefit from adding internal bracing during construction. On their architecture series, I often laminate parts to illustration board or double the parts for stability.