PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.69 GB
The brand APLI has metallic silver paper in A4 format and 130gr/m, for laser and inkjet. The reference is 12000.
It costs about 6 Euros for 10 sheets.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Thanks for the info above. Looks like that is a similar sheet to the thin stuff I got from paperandmore, in an A4 size. Definitely good to know.

I just got off the "live chat" at paper-papers.com - they are sending me a *free* sample of 3 sheets of Stardream Metallic 8.5x11 65lb cover stock paper - two in white, one in silver. This sounds like an exact match to the Wausau paper and is only like $6 for a 25pack. That's less than half what I paid for the Wausau per page.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM
cModerator

Ok another update on the metallic papers from papersandmore. Just did a test print on the cardstock - its very thick and was very much at the limits of my printer's capability (the paper path is U shaped - if you have a printer with a straight-through paper path it may work out better). It skipped a little each time the paper fed further, so every inch or so is a line of darker color and a slight shortening of the part. I used one of Cami's new '57 Chevy kits available at www.ecardmodels.com, and the finish is spectacular. I might try to build this anyway. I'm certainly going to see how the spray seal works on it.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 304.48 MB
I haven't ordered any to try yet , but this looks promising .
Might have to laminate it to some cardstock , but its silver !

Inkjet Labels, Laser Labels and Custom Printed Labels and Stickers
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
cMags,

Still waiting on my smaple to get here. Alaska is a slow spot on the map for mail.

The 57 chevy looks great!

What type of printer are you using?

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
cModerator

Using an HP Photosmart Plus. Seems to do a pretty decent job at printing but that thicker card was just a little more than it could handle properly. I still plan to build the car.

Here's a quick update - as expected, spray sealing the metallic paper with a matte spray did dull the luster a bit, but it's still there, and still has a nice effect over the normal card. A gloss I think would instead enhance the effect. I was just out of it. I'm starting a build of the MiG-15 in the Aviation section to see how it cuts, folds, and glues. Watch for it.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 PM

Sample Pack Here!

Wow, what a great place to do business with!

Paperandmore was very understanding when my original sample pack came to Alaska and was then returned to them without it ever getting close to my mailbox.

Today I received a sample pack that was shipped on Monday! Incredible fast shipping for where I'm at!

Added some of the pearl white to my original sample order, which was simple enough to do!

You don't just get a return reply to emails, you get lots of personal service as well!

Will post some photos, batterys to camera are recharging. Will try figure out what to print first in the meantime...

Oh! Look Something Shiny...

Mike
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cMags View Post
Using an HP Photosmart Plus. Seems to do a pretty decent job at printing but that thicker card was just a little more than it could handle properly. I still plan to build the car.

Here's a quick update - as expected, spray sealing the metallic paper with a matte spray did dull the luster a bit, but it's still there, and still has a nice effect over the normal card. A gloss I think would instead enhance the effect. I was just out of it. I'm starting a build of the MiG-15 in the Aviation section to see how it cuts, folds, and glues. Watch for it.
Going to try it in a HP120c wide format. Supposed to handle heavier stuff, guess theres one way to find out!

This stuff is awesome for my purpose! Great looking cardstock, the paper is ligther than I thought it would be.

The pearl white is awesome, glad you mentioned it!

Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
cModerator

I've been building the 57 Chevy from Cami using the heavy card and must say its been a bit challenging. Each cut with the knife takes a few passes, and using scissors gets a little iffy around tight radii. Its difficult to make tight folds/creases, but once a curve is massaged into shape it holds well (just watch out for inner surface buckling). I'll post a thread on it soon. One thing is for sure, once built, this model will be solid. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the thick card. We'll see how the "text weight" works out for a smaller kit.

I did get my sample from paper-papers.com and it seems to be a good double-sided sheet of a nice middle weight. Review of that soon.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cMags View Post
I've been building the 57 Chevy from Cami using the heavy card and must say its been a bit challenging. Each cut with the knife takes a few passes, and using scissors gets a little iffy around tight radii. Its difficult to make tight folds/creases, but once a curve is massaged into shape it holds well (just watch out for inner surface buckling). I'll post a thread on it soon. One thing is for sure, once built, this model will be solid. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the thick card. We'll see how the "text weight" works out for a smaller kit.

I did get my sample from paper-papers.com and it seems to be a good double-sided sheet of a nice middle weight. Review of that soon.
How does the 57' Chevy glue?

Curious what samples you chose from paper-papers.

Hard to decide which ones to try Shimmer, Stardream, petallic metallics, etc...

Would like some really shiny stuff, been thinking of checking the Shimmer Metallics.

Sounds like only 3-samples for free without spending $$$ for sample packs. It is hard to narrow it down to just 3.

My list is 3-manufacturers, approx. 5-different colors each...

Mike
Google Adsense