PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 10-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
That is real shiny! Hope the 20# works! If it doesn't, some 65 or 67# bristol vellum might! Whoops-just saw your edit! 65# cover is almost the same as 110# index, so the bristol vellum is what you want.

What type of printer did you use?

does it print with dye or pigment ink?

Aweswome results!

Mike
well mike no success with any thing but the 110# and its slipping at the begging.. i was hoping to manual feed from the back but no luck...

its a wf7010 with pgment inks...

i think the only thing i can do is try a lighter aluminum foil... the heavy duty seems to just make it too thick...

the only other thing is to print first then glue to aluminum...

but i really want to figure this out its printing so nice on the aluminum if i can solve the feed issue...
Old 10-14-2012, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
well mike no success with any thing but the 110# and its slipping at the begging.. i was hoping to manual feed from the back but no luck...

its a wf7010 with pgment inks...

i think the only thing i can do is try a lighter aluminum foil... the heavy duty seems to just make it too thick...

the only other thing is to print first then glue to aluminum...

but i really want to figure this out its printing so nice on the aluminum if i can solve the feed issue...
Ok, understand. One of my printers has issues with 110lb cardstock. What I do to get around this is:
1) using my finger I create a fold 1/4" from the first edge into the printer. This fold makes the sheet stand up at the front edge, it isn't creased, just made to stand up.
2) Cut a slight angle on the edge that is giving me trouble. Cut is about 1/8" from side to about 1" long along the front edge.

This small angle cut allows the cardstock to feed using the front edge "good" area, by the time the bad corner gets to the printer the sheets is already feeding properly and printer works fine after that.

The front edge being bent up slightly helps the cardstock to feed around the platten and go under the rollers that hold it down to the platten.

A Couple of Tricks to Print On Heavy Cardstock! = shows the slight bend at the front edge.

I use an old HP Deskjet 1220c for smaller prints (up to 13" x 19"). These tricks work great for it.

My HP 120C (24" wide x 36" long) can handle way thicker stuff.

Mike
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
im going to give that a try with some lighter aluminum if that works then i think i can print straight to aluminum foil.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Quote:
"The Silver for some reason was a problem. Not only for the printer but also when building. Notice how smooth the Pearl White is but, the Silver has creases (krinkle lines?) all over it from when I tried to pre-roll it for gluing."

Mike
this could be due to the grain in the paper. If the parts are laid out so you are rolling with the grain this usually does not happen. I have found that the grain is not always parallel to the longest side.
Just a thought

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Silver Mirror cardstock got here this weekend.

Does anybody know where to get a spray that can be applied so that inkjet ink will print on this stuff? I've heard that there is, but I haven't been able to find it. A name or brand name would be ideal...

Mike
Make sure whatever you buy is inkjet compatible. A lot op peper is made for professional printers using offset print machines. You can buy a product that you paint over the paper first Golden Digital Grounds - BLICK art materials

I have used it and it works on anything that will go through your printer. I even laminated tin foil to a piece of 67# and it worked on that but it was very tricky to work with after it was printed. The ink sticks but you do have to seal it after printing. I believe it would work on clear surfaces as well. But it might make it a bit hazy

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM

Next time I will read the entier thread before commenting. Should have known someone would have thought of Digital ground besides me. just trying to help

Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Modeler View Post
Next time I will read the entier thread before commenting. Should have known someone would have thought of Digital ground besides me. just trying to help
Not a problem..Yours shows the price without having to call in, never could find the price on the other link.

Will give it a try.

Allso, your comments on the grain, are probably correct. I printed both test pages the same orientation, but the silver was a pain. Could have been how they cut it from the larger sheet size. Anyway, I'll be getting some of the PURE SILVER from itsupplies (24" x 100ft roll = $178.) It prints the best out of all of the stuff I tested.

The place in Texas for the adhesive backed stuff has the worst customer service I've dealt with on the net. Won't be getting anything from them and can't recomend them either. Their shipping charges are twice the product cost.

Mike
Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 AM

Was getting ready to order the $178.00 24" x 100ft roll of Pure Chrome Silver from IT Supplies, when I noticed they changed the name.

IT Supplies - Metallic Inkjet Paper

Got to looking around and found a really cool sample pack of the gold, elegant silver, gloss silver, moon glow and pearl. 3-sheets of each for $17.99.

I really liked the Chrome Silver! It looks really good as the top of my 1/32 scale Saturn V. The colors look great, lines are nice and sharp, black is black without looking like an ink blot.

For the test prints earlier in this thread, I just used line work for detail and thought the look would work best without a light gray color, so the Apollo Spacecraft and CSM (in the comparison photos) was done without any coloring other than the windows and detail lines.

When I printed the Apollo for the 1/32 scale rocket, I forgot to remove the light gray color I was using on regular cardstock. Boy am I glad I did that! With the light grey the capsule really looks better. After a thin coat of spray lacquer to seal it, the shine is awesome!

This is actual photo paper so the colors really come alive, unlike the cardstock I've tried using. You do need to seal it after printing though.

The pearl photo looks like it might work even better, those pearls on the womans neck look awesome. IT Supplies - Chrome - Chrome Metallic Luster Inkjet Paper

A last note:
When I did the test prints and then glued the parts, I had a little trouble getting the glue to stick. When I made the 1/32 Apollo, i wet my finger and rubbed the silver off of the paper. Alenes tacky glue work great after doing that.

Highly recomend the Elegant Silver (270 gsm). Will have a report on the other colors soon as it gets here.

Mike
Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Has anyone tried using this spray paint to coat cardstock? Alsa Corp | Killer Cans Killer Chrome

And then try as a top coat to print? Golden Artist Colors, Inc. | Digital Ground

Curious if it would work!

Also a link for chrome custom coatings [must have an extra $5,000.00 bill laying around to purchase system and coatings for a start-up]: Spectra Chrome ... Advanced Spray-On Chrome Technology!!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-24-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Quote:
Found some really cool stuff. Problem is to get some shipped to Alaska cost 127% more for the shipping than the product. Total checkout was 18.47 + 23.49 shipping by UPS = $41.96 for 12 letter size sheets. What the?????? USPS first class mail is way cheaper for 12-sheets...Less than $10 or Priority Flat rate would be around the same.
Makes me think of traveling in my motorhome in Alaska a few years ago. Had a split fuel line, but no part at the Cummins dealer in Fairbanks. They said they could "goldrush" one to us overnight. My wife said "does that mean what I think it does?". Yup....$50 bucks for a 1 lb. part! Jim
Google Adsense